I was telling someone yesterday that back in 1984, when we started our little company out in California, I was advised by PacBel to get a "Merlin" system. I said, "Okay, how much?". They said "around $6K, give or take". I said "what are my other options?. They said, "spend more". I said "no thanks".

So I called around and found an independant telco contractor, and he told me to get a 1A2. One of the best business decisions I ever made. $1800.00 with intercom, 4 lines and 10 sets - INSTALLED. Today, I think I could sell those sets (they are all MINT) and get a good chunk of that back I think (smiles).

I still have that old 501, and all the sets. And since my new "home" is already prewired for 1A2 (thank you SAC), it's really good that I kept this system.

As I eluded earlier, lightening strikes are VERY common out in rural Texas, and happen frequently. I just can't see spending a ton of money on a solid state system, only to have it fry in the first year. At least with the 501, I can change out a line card quickly (more smiles) if this happens. Although, I am also aware that a strike close by or directly to the lines at the base will destroy the 501 too. But since the wires are buried, I can't see this happening.

In talking with you guys, and reading on the net, I've learned alot about the 1A2 in the last few days, about what it can do, and it's limitations. I really like this system.

Does anyone know if the Melco intercom(s) had a "call all stations" input? I'm thinking about replacing my relay intercom with a KT-19, and putting a station at the front gate. Visitors would puch a button (preferred), or pick up a handset (if someone hasn't ripped it off the pedestol) and "all stations" on the intercom would be buzzed, allowing any station to answer. The other alternative is to use a 401 line card, and a dedicated set. But this wouldn't allow me to answer the call unless I dedicated a button on all the other sets for just the "gate phone" - and I am already using them all (4 lines, hold and intercom). Any suggestions?

As you can see, my mind has not stopped thinking about the possibilities here (grins).

"Our's is a happy world!"

Rikki

P.S. Ed, your "package" is on it's way. Thanks again!