KLD, I couldn't agree more, that the 1A2's still in operation will work till the bitter end. In my humble opinion, pretty much anything made after 1990 is borderline crap (there are exceptions of course).

I drive an 88' Saab, with only 107KKM on the odometer, in CANADA! She hasn't let me down yet! (OK, she needs some TLC every now and then, but overall the car is a rock).

As far as IT equipment, in most cases it's not really the hardware that's a problem. You stick a LINUX OS in 600$ DEll desktop, and it will last forever. Problem is LINUX is not exactly user friendly, it actually demands that you know how computers work to a certain extent (kind of like the 1A2 eh?), but in our McWorld, there are very few who will make the effort (myself included frown , my loss completely, since one can make a pretty penny knowing LINUX well).

Before I knew anything about telephony, I didn't realise the significance of a 4 pair UTP ethernet cable. I was just amazed to find out that it's nothing more then the first 4 pairs of a 25 pair set: BW/B, OW/O, GW/G, BRW/BR!

The entire modern world, running on a technology that stretches back to the day of Mrs. Mckinnley patching you through on her switchboard.

Mind boggling!