I'm not overly-happy with the cabinet design of the Summit. The small one (Summit 80) is a wall-mounted flat pack design that's fairly typical for small systems. With two cabinets, it can expand nicely, but it takes up a fair amount of dedicated wall space. The cabinets can only be about a foot or so apart and each one is about a foot square. All wiring is from the right side panel of the cabinets, so a decent amount of clear wall space must be left in order to see the connections. Two cabinets will end up requiring about 3' of wall height and 2' of width for a comfortable working environment.

The Summit 800 cabinets need to be rack mounted and are a bit cumbersome to interconnect in my opinion. They also can't be mounted directly to the wall unless you fasten the right side of the cabinet to the wall. They have to be accessible from the front AND back sides. This means that it sticks out about 20 inches! As we all know, dedicated wall space in closets is almost unheard of these days and the idea of room for a rack (wall mounted or free-standing) is a pipe dream. They (LG) designed this assuming that it would just be another piece of IT gear, since the IT guys usually get whatever amount of space they demand. A floor-mounted rack is perfect, since access to both sides of the cabinets can be accommodated. The cabinets for the Summit 800 are MUCH taller than the IP Office, about a foot high. Width and depth, they are about the same.

Programming is either through a phone or a GUI interface on the LAN. That part isn't too bad to pick up with most of the features being point and click to administer. It's really more of a learning issue with regard to terminology since each manufacturer's wording is different. The station cards are offered with 25 pair connectors, which I prefer, although I understand that they also make versions with modular plugs as well. I have never seen them.

Training isn't too intrusive. It is held at distributors' facilities, like Target Distributing, Hoosier Equipment, etc. They don't charge for it, but you have to provide your own transportation and lodging. Most classes are only a few days. They also offer lots of on-line courses, but I really think at least one hands-on course is necessary.

I'm not a huge fan of the product, but since our options are really starting to dwindle, beggars can't be choosers. Quality-wise, I have found the Summit to be good and solid. I've worked with them for about three years now and I don't recall any card or component failures.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX