web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Hi.

My corporate office had a almost a brand new PBX system that is maybe 1 year old. Its pretty much the state of the art system with VOIP capabilities. It does everything the company needs and more without any problems.

The company hired a new tech guy who said that we should trash the PBX system so he can build us a Asterisk system instead.

Do you guys thing this is a good idea?

I am not sure what advantage the company would get from the asterisk box over my regular phone system (especially when it runs everything my company need just fine)

However this guy insist that we need to “ Upgrade to Asterisk” however I’m not sure if that would really be an upgrade or more of a downgrade.?

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Eventhough Asterisk is good for smaller applications, and if you can get things setup it can be good for bigger applications, but I would suggest keeping the new PBX.

Asterisk is now Trixbox, and it sounds like the IT guy just wants a new project. I would have to ask how many extensions there are, but I don't believe it would be to the benefit of your company to trash a nearly new PBX and install something like an Asterisk in it's place.

Is your current PBX a true PBX or a VoIP PBX?

Kristopher
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by coolphonesrock:
Hi.

It does everything the company needs and more without any problems.

I am not sure what advantage the company would get from the asterisk box over my regular phone system (especially when it runs everything my company need just fine)
Seems to me like you just answered the question yourself.
Ask him how many successful installs he's done with the Asterick and call those people to see if they like it or not.

sounds to me like the IT guy just wants something to play with. If the PBX fits your needs I would stay with the PBX

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
The “Upgrade to Asterisk” will have some associated expense with little or no return. There is a good chance that the end result would be misery. Don't do it!
Mike

Admin
Admin
There is no need to get rid of the PBX but adding an Asterisk to it could give you lots more flexability and features. If your IT guy knows what he is doing with Asterisk he should be able to intergrate it WITH the PBX.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
This is REALLY a bad idea!!! Pack your bags now. Because you are both going to loose your job. Going from a "state of the art" PBX to an Asterisk box will be a disaster. Not saying Asterisk doesn't work, but an Asterisk box is not a business class solution. By doing this you are commiting carear sucide.

If this guy wants to play with an asterisk box, then trunk your current PBX to an asterisk box.

[Linked Image from phototiki.com]
RCA Offline
What PBX do you currently have now?

Ask your IT person what this 'at a risk' (Asterisk) will do that your current PBX wont do.

Rhett
Asterix isn't the worst system in the world, even for a large company. But there's a significant hidden cost - phones and support.

If the current system isn't a standard SIP VoIP product, then you're looking at spending another 100 bucks each for new phones.

Almost any Asterisk system is going to require the full-time effort of a well-trained IT guy. That means that you'll need ANOTHER IT guy to do the normal day-to-day BS work that your current IT guy can't do because he's administering Asterisk.

Asterisk = your RISKing your ASTE (ass)
OH MAN - RCA stole my joke while I was still typing it!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
Admin
Admin
posted 07-21-2006 02:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi.

My corporate office had a almost a brand new PBX system that is maybe 1 year old. Its pretty much the state of the art system with VOIP capabilities. It does everything the company needs and more without any problems.

The company hired a new tech guy who said that we should trash the PBX system so he can build us a Asterisk system instead.

Do you guys thing this is a good idea?

Take the "new" guy aside and tell him he's full of it. Your PBX ain't broke and he isn't the telephone guru.

Let him build an asterisk on his own time.

However this guy insist that we need to “ Upgrade to Asterisk” however I’m not sure if that would really be an upgrade or more of a downgrade.?

Run this past the controller. Tell him you want to toss all the phones and PBX into the dumpster and buy a new phone system to make the new employee happy.

When he's done laughing, move on to the next project.

Carl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024