Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ibex Offline OP
OP Offline
I understand that you can use Cisco phones with other IP based PBX systems, but does Cisco offer a system of their own to work with their IP phones?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

They have Call Manager and Call Manager Express

ibex Offline OP
OP Offline
What exactly is CallManager? From what I have read, it looks like it is an application that you install on a PC. Is this correct?

From what I have seen, it is a head ache waiting to happen, I have seen some installs go well...but overall I am not a fan

https://img282.imageshack.us/my.php?image=realization1zq.jpg

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
ROFL, Anthony!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Ibex:

That's exactly what happens; it's an application running on a dedicated server. Patches or upgrades are required regularly in order to keep everything running properly. It's not a job for the faint of heart and definitely commands a strong knowledge of computer networking AND telecommunications. That's a lot on most peoples' plate.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
As I brought up in a different thread...
Saw a demo yesterday. In this instance it's a local company that has an existing Avaya Definity G3si. They are migrating to the Cisco Call Manager. About half way there. Outside trunks are connected to the Cisco, about half the stations are still on the G3. This install has been in place for 6 months with no problem. The user interface is very appealing.
As I told Cisco/it's business partner, I am naturally hesitant. They made a good case for their product. Good enough to make me think about it.
These things are a given:
1. Telephone systems are moving to IP.
2. Having IPT experience on my resume will help, maybe nessesary in the future.
3. I don't want to be standing in the dust (or would it be ether?) with a buggy whip in my hand.
4. It all depends on the health of your data infrastructure. Grrrrr

Richard

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
We just lost a 200+phones customer to a Cisco install recently. Bosses want the Cicso phone on their desk. Cisco has great marketing of their phones; they are seen everywhere(TV shows, news programs, banks, etc). They upgraded all cable to cat6, new gigabit switches for who knows what cost(semi-future proofed and eliminated QOS issues). Customer was in the mindset to replace rather than upgrade existing system even though it was way less expensive. Cisco will work its way down to the smaller systems eventually. I think manufacturers of other systems need to allow the CISCO phones to work on their systems (SIP) so the boss gets his/her CISCO phone and they still get the system sale. There is going to be some more consolidation next year or some other manufacturers disappearing...The whole landscape is changing with Microsoft planning on releasing their VOIP system next year, desk phones may not be around in the next 10 years. With kids today using IM and cell phones, they will just want to use them instead of being tied to desk. All cell phone providers need to do is have transfer/conference feature and desktop application for voicemails and the pbx could be eliminated in alot of offices....

i have installed sisco 7920 ip wireless handsets to old legendspbx works ok but the pickup and page features are lousy

What Ed said is correct. The place I work converted to a Cisco system a couple months ago. The station related changes are handled by an in-house telephone tech. The IT people handle the computer networking. A year or more ago I had the chance to work with a demo Call Manager and Cisco phones. The line, trunk, and route provisioning appear to be things that someone with PBX or C.O. switch background could handle without much trouble. Setting up the network is another matter. I think you’d want a good background in computer networking. I keep reading and hearing that the data network is the key to success. I agree with this.

When our conversion took place a couple months ago I entered a post summing up how I felt the cutover went and how the service was. I’ll not go into those details again except to say that I was very disappointed that the vendor and the IT department did not do adequate testing prior to the cut. I identified most of the problems and I wasn’t part of the process. I also wrote that we had experienced some echo problems but they appeared to have been resolved.

I was writing this reply yesterday and I was interrupted by a call. I had the echo problem on that call. I spoke to the telecom person. He said he had gotten a couple of call about jitter. He said he was working with the vendor so I guess there are still a few problems.

I’m not sure what the future of IP telephony is. I suspect that it is here to stay and that it will improve over time. As an old, former, and 4th generation telephone person I naturally favor traditional telephone systems using the traditional telephone network. However, I know things change. We went from open wire to fiber optics. We change the way we do our business with the change of technology. Everything new has a period where the bugs are getting worked out. The important thing is having people involved who understand what providing good service means. Telephone people know this. They are familiar with the 5 nines. I’m not that all IT people understand this. What I saw where I work attested to this. I have spoken to other people who had less than successful conversions. IT departments controlled those conversions.

This is not meant as a slap at IT people. Most of the IT people I know a nice people and very talented and very knowledgeable. However they lack the experience when it comes to implementing a telephone cutover. They don’t know the pitfalls because they haven’t experienced them. Many will gain that experience but I think there will always be a place for telephone people even in a world of IP telephony. Sorry for the long post.

Gary
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,725 Shoretel
189,768 CTX100 install
187,923 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 72 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024