web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Let me attempt to clearly describe this problem:

I'm running 4 POTS lines and 7 extensions off the main cabinet only. Apparently there is a new "feature" on the 6.0's that actively detects dial tone on the CO ports. If you go to grab CO port and there is no dial tone, the system immediately drops the call. The older releases never did this. However, when dial tone is connected (even for several minutes), it takes 0-2 tries before the call goes through. It’s very random. Sometimes, I can call out right away. Sometimes, I'll grab the line and it drops and I have to try a few times.

I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I would imagine an end user could eventually complain. Out of 10 tries, I’d say the call would drop immediately 2 times. Note: Once the call is established, the system doesn’t drop the call. It is only when I initially try and grab the line. This problem happens whether I directly select the line or dial 9 as all lines are in pool A. This isn’t a restriction issue either.

I thoroughly checked all settings on the BCM and didn't see anything that was out of the ordinary. The issue is happening on all CO ports. The only thing that remained constant was the CO line I was using the lab.

I looked at the 6.0 release notes and didn't see anything. I would imagine a patch would fix this, I didn't see anything (probably because the release is too new). I'm contemplating asking the company I bought from for assistance or possible a replacement. This is the only 6.0 I've had my hands on.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

I haven't touched 6.0 yet but maybe there time to wait for dial tone? If yes then time is to short.
Or turn that feature off.

OP Offline
Ok, perhaps it was POTS line I was using which had DSL on it. I tried another POTS and an dial tone simulator and I was able to dial the first time, everytime. I still don't think it's acceptable and hope Avaya released a patch.

You can't connect DSL line to the system without filter. To noisy.

OP Offline
It's filtered. The issue was only happening with that line, and I know it was good. Because that line was a DSL line, that's the only reason I can think it would cause trouble with this system. Again, the BCM shouldn't drop so quickly and it shouldn't take me a few tries to make an outbound regardless of any line that was plugged into it.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
If it was only with THAT line, then frog the lines and see if it follows. If it does, then it is indeed the line and not the BCM.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
What heppaned if you connect buttset to the line and Flash few times? If the same problem then line is no good if you can make a call every time then problem with port. Simple.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024