Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232230 11/14/06 04:49 AM
partinm Offline OP
OP Offline
We are days away from installing our new IPK II system (upgrading from previous NEC equipment). We outsource our network and servers to a local company who had also installed an IPK II system a few months ago. When we were getting their insights on their IPK, they mentioned that they are considering offering VOIP to their network clients as an additional service. However, they say that when they do that (in 18 months or so depending on internal research, etc.) they will drop the IPK II and go with a Cisco ACD phone system.

They offered informally to let us be one of their first VOIP customers for a discount (read guinea pigs). If we agree to it, then they may move up their schedule somewhat.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Do any of you have experience using VOIP on IPK II and how good/bad is the IPK II at handling VOIP? We may consider using VOIP independently (via phone company) if the IPK II system would handle it.

2) I have read several articles about VOIP not being really ready for prime time yet (dropped calls, distortion due to lost packets, etc.). I have heard a few local stories about similar experiences. Do you have any experience as to the quality of VOIP and if it really is ready for prime time or not on a corporate level?

I work for a small company that is almost totally dependent on having 24/7 phone availability. Plus, I am confident that if we start dropping calls or have bad quality connections during customer calls, our customers will start to drop us as well.

We would be 18 or so months away from a potential shift to VOIP and it would all revolve around how we could provide top-notch phone service to our customers while reducing operating costs (I'm sure no one has experience with that one smile ).

Thanks for any insight or experience you may provide.

mp

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#232231 11/14/06 05:02 AM
We have yet to install IPK ll with VOIP so I can't help you there. However we have lost bids to cisco who came pretty close to giving their systems away at cost. Now when it comes to adds moves and changes the price is outrages.

Has anyone else heard of these horror stories?

We get old too soon, smart too late
#232232 11/17/06 12:24 AM
Have been using multiple types of VOIP, Megaco stations, and CCIS networking on both IPK, and IPK II, rock solid as long as you have bandwidth. We link multiple systems over network, and even have phones on ships in the gulf with satalite links.

#232233 11/17/06 12:32 AM
VOIP is almost totally based on how good your network is. Saving money with VOIP...how with in house phones? I have yet to see anyone make a good case to use VOIP phones inside a single building that doesn't have outside people or multi site.

#232234 11/17/06 01:25 PM
Well if you have a large campus or large warehouse, and the copper limit is reached, the network can always go over fiber@!

#232235 11/17/06 03:20 PM
True...but only 300 feet on copper for IP. Wheras 2600 for digital phones OR 13k for analog.
How about that tech!!!

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,391 Shoretel
189,116 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (jeffmoss26, Toner), 169 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024