Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#248131 11/09/11 11:09 AM
grey949 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm having issues with our IP phones (DSX VOIP 34B). I have everything to default settings, but audio is only working one way. The IP phone can not hear the other side, but the other side can hear the IP Phone.

However, if I use the same settings/login/ext with X-Lite (from my laptop), it works perfectly. Both my laptop and the IP Phone are on the same switch, so I don't think it's a networking issue. For now this is all LAN based.

The DSX system is running v3.34. The system has a static IP reserved from our DHCP server. For the SIP port, I'm using the default 5060. For the RTP Range Start I'm using 1024 (the RTP Range End box is greyed out and shows 1215, which seems odd).

A few more notes. When I leave the phone RTP port at default (which is 3462), it will do the one way audio (see above), but if I set it to 1024, there is no audio (yet it will ring and dial out). I ran wireshark while running X-Lite and can see it's using RTP port 1080. If I set the IP Phone to use 1080 it will behave the same as using 3462, again only one way audio. (Again note that X-Lite works perfectly with two way audio).

I've tried a factory reset of the phone, didn't change anything. Phone HW Stats:
Hardware Ver 9.1.3.5
Firmware Ver 1.0.7.2

Any ideas? help

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

grey949 Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting update. In the DSX System, under (1801), I changed the RTP Range Start to 1080 (RTP Range End is greyed out to 1271).

I still only get one way audio, but now it's the other way around! Meaning, the IP Phone can hear the other line but not vice versa, which is the opposite scenario I was seeing earlier.

I should also note that this is a new setup, meaning they've never worked for us. I've also tried different IP Phones to make sure it wasn't a HW issue.

Another note is that when I use wireshark against the IP Phone (using a Hub this time), the source RTP port is 1136. Very strange....

grey949 Offline OP
OP Offline
Solved it!

Spent a couple hours hammering away with wireshark/zenmap.

So when I set the RTP port range on the DSX from 1024-1087 audio works one way (note: it would only use port 1080). Setting it to 1080-1271 would allow audio one way but in the different direciont (note: it would only use port 1136).

1136 seemed to be the trick.

I set the RTP range to 1135-1199 and it worked.

Doesn't make any sense at all especially since the softphone worked fine with any range and it's on the same switch.

The real challenge will be getting these to work off site.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,763
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,442 Shoretel
188,296 CTX100 install
187,079 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (BobRobert), 115 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024