Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#254311 08/24/11 12:21 PM
OP Offline
https://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/24/us-apple-idUSTRE77N82K20110824

I've got many thoughts about him, his business and how this information has been disseminated, but I'll leave that for a later post.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#254312 08/24/11 12:47 PM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
No one can fault his success, thats for sure. Now at least maybe there is a slim chance I can eventually play flash on my ipad!!

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
#254313 08/24/11 07:17 PM
OP Offline
I wouldn't count on any Adobe product coming to the Apple table for a while. But maybe I'm full of it....

My problem with Jobs has largely to do with his ego. I want to admire him (I kinda grew up with him AND I've certainly met him face to face), but he's not a very nice guy (I have friends who work at Apple that can easily confirm this). I don't wish anything ill on him as it's obvious that he's fighting demons. But c'mon--what's going to be his legacy? iTunes?

Even George Lucas, who has suffered horribly because of Hollywood's games, has the GLEF or George Lucas Educational Foundation. Bill Gates and his wife have the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. What does Jobs have?

Nothing. Cause he's a greedy dickhead.

I don't want him to die nor do I wish him any ill will. But were I to have such an impression on the generation that I grew up with, I would consider putting together something more than a thin, sexy, glassy tablet (or dictate to artists how much their songs are worth).

He IS a shaker/mover, but I don't think he will leave behind as much a favorable impression as he would like, IMHO. Actually, my opinion isn't humble--IMO.

#254314 08/25/11 02:34 AM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
you do make a good point here. If more men in high places would worry about making the world a bit better than how much money or power they have..... (politicians..are you listening??)

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
#254315 08/25/11 03:28 PM
The sad thing about Steve Jobs is he is dying of cancer. Something you never want to wish on anyone. He does have all the money in the world and has a huge ego. But the man is a genius and will go down as one of the biggest innovators of our time. I will pray for him and his family. Cancer sucks!

#254316 08/27/11 05:53 AM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
We don't wish any ill health on Steve Jobs. Like you said, its not something to wish on anybody. I don't even think Jobs is driven by greed, but rather by ego. I think he embraced the unconventional thinking and being the dark horse. Now that Apple is worth more than any other company, seems he was doing a few things right... now, if they will just let me do flash on my ipad.....

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
#254317 08/27/11 11:22 AM
There was a power outage Thursday night and the owner at work's iMac took a crap. Coincidence? LOL

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#254318 08/29/11 04:51 PM
Nothing. Cause he's a greedy dickhead.
Really? Unless you know him personally seems a bit harsh. Do a little research and you will find Apple was one of the first companies to donate PC's to primary education, year after year. Doing this back in the day when they were a pretty unstable and a fledgling company. Keep in mind that Apples real wealth is directly correlated to the release of the iphone and that was just a few years back.

#254319 08/29/11 05:24 PM
OP Offline
My wife has been a teacher for 23 years. I lived through the Apple "donations", which admittedly were perhaps spoiled or otherwise screwed up by a top-heavy educational system. But for those in the know (and I'm sure I'll sound like a know-it-all pig here), Apple's interest in "education" had far more to do with future prospects than it did with making kids smarter.

My measure of philanthropy has a lot to do with how vocal someone is about it. I'm willing to bet that most know very little about either the GLEF or how much Gates gave to Carnegie-Mellon last year alone.

I am harsh--and maybe I'm wrong for doing so. I guess if I were the puppeteer, I would make Mr. Jobs calm down and realize what a great career and fortune he's made (at the expense of MANY others, BTW...trust). And at the end of that calmness, he would worry less about his image and more about his legacy (which really IS kind of an image thing--it's just that others benefit from it as well).

Company profits HAVE been relatively recent. But you seem to forget the story of how Jobs was originally thrown out, replaced by John Sculley (who STILL cannot get an "I'm sorry" in with Jobs) as he takes EVERYTHING personally, and that it was those of the "MacIntosh faith" that kept the company rolling and ultimately brought Jobs back.

I won't dare compare Jobs to Hilter, but if ever there was a modern-day propaganda/man of near-religious fervor, it would be Jobs. And that shit scares me.

#254320 08/30/11 01:48 AM
Back in the 1990's I was teaching a computer class in a school for challenged students. The room was outfitted with decrepit, old donated Macs, and I remember thinking even then that it was simply an attempt to win over the young so that they would carry the Mac torch in to the future. Who knows, if they hadn't priced themselves out of the game they might have given Microsoft a run for its money.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,846
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,656 Shoretel
189,549 CTX100 install
187,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024