web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi folks,
I have DSL service to our Church that's on a separate network than the "primary" Church network.

We have three (3) different buildings on site, and I'm wondering if I can, somehow, connect all three buildings to the same DSL network? How would I do that?

The DSL modem is in located in Bldg. 1, and Bldg. 2 & 3 are appx. 50-150 feet away from Bldg. 1. The main telco closet and PBX wiring, etc., are all located in Bldg. 2.

There's a telco junction box (I think that's what it's called) in the concrete sidewalk with a lid on it located right in the middle of all three buildings.

I'd like to offer wifi at all three buildings by having an access point located within each buildings.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Ed

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Of course it can be done...get a qualified CG in there to give you your options. I don't get to say THAT very often on this forum!

Dylan. SATUBAW (Some American techs use BIX as well)!
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
google 'mesh'

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Ed Flecko,
What you are wanting to do is defiantly doable.
My advise would be for you to contact a local voice and data interconnect company for a quote to connect your 3 buildings.

Depending exactly where you are located in CA, there may be some people here on the board that may be able to help you out with this.

Good Luck

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
like mike said , you just need to understand what your doing .

you aren't extending DSL per se your bringing DSL to a central point then extending a Ethernet network (wired or WIFI) to the other locations

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Like Skip555 said... You're just extending the existing TCP/IP network to all three buildings. How you do it is all just site design / physical-layer. The DSL proper (modem, router) can remain in just the one location.

Now, a question (this being a church, and me being familiar with how those projects sometimes go...) -- Do you NEED internet at all three buildings?

Okay, sure, if you have a school/preschool, you need the classrooms and/or lab to be able to access the internet (as a computer lab or a library are usually a certification requirement). And the admin people need to access the internet for website updates, email, etc. -- but much of the campus probably doesn't need internet.

Case in point: I did some volunteer work for a church with a school and preschool. We set up a Peer-to-peer network in the admin area, and then we set up a lab in the same building for the school. Well, the principal wanted every classroom to have two computers, each with internet access. Me and a buddy spent our vacations that year running cables to 6 classrooms in 5 modular buildings, and adding hubs in three locations to achieve this goal.

Come to find out, the teachers were asking to *remove* computers (they tend to take space and to be a distraction) and just wanted students to use the lab during the designated "Computer" classes.

And it turned out that the "computer classes" consisted mainly of "keyboarding" (typing) and "how to look stuff up on the internet."

So the network we put together was serious overkill. Which brings me back to my point: Are you SURE that you NEED DSL at all three buildings? Because if there's not a plan and a purpose for it, it's overkill and you'd be better off using the time and resources elsewhere.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 101 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024