web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264005 05/06/08 03:16 AM
OP Offline
When I first try to connect to the internet it is very slow. It takes maybe 2 minutes to connect to the home page (no matter which site I select) after that it loads normally. When it first connect I see "deturmining proxie settings" in the lower left corner of the browser window.
I am running Win2000 pro in a Latitude C800. It was working fine for a long time and now it doesn't. i was running a security suite provided by my ISP (Road Runner)but i removed it to see if that was the problem (it wasn't). I am using wireless or NIC with cable ( it make no difference other than speed)
I have 2 other pcs connected to the same router with no problems. Onw is wireless runnng 2000 the other is nic with XP.
I checked all my network settings and I cant find the problem. Could it be someing with DHCP?
Any idea's anyone?

ATTITUDE: It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

sph Offline
???
What make and version of browser are you using?
The most common situation could be that some malware has hijacked or is trying to hijack the browser settings, probably trying to redirect your home page to somewhere else.

sph is likely correct. If that's the case I would download a spyware scanner such as Ad-Aware. There's several free ones available.

One easy thing to try though is to look at your browser's connection settings. Go to Tools-->Internet Options-->Connections Tab. Click on the LAN settings button and see if there's any proxy settings in there. Generally this is set to "automatically detect settings". This assumes Internet Explorer is your browser.

The issue is not likely with DHCP, as the IP address settings generally don't change too often.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
OP Offline
I never thought about a browser hijacker. I had a security suite in place, but deleted it trying to fix this problem. I do have Ad-Aware on there as well as a another one. I am running IE6 on this one.
That make sense cause once it connects it seems to work fine. I'll let you know if this works(hopefully tonight)
Thanks

ATTITUDE: It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Uncheck the automatic detect settings. If you are only using it with your home connection. I had this issue once and that seemed to be the cure. But then again I dont know if that is prudent advise.

Yep, the proxy settings in the connection settings wizard might do that. Once it tries to detect it, and fails, it doesn't try again, until the next time the system reboots.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
OP Offline
I tried Ad-Aware and Spybot and they showed nothing. I also bootied it in safe mode and tried them again with no result. However in safe mode IE worked fine. I even uninstalled/installed IE again and no difference. Although I don't know if it was a clean uninstall as all of my fav,etc were still there. I'll try the auto settings change and see how I fare on that. I also downloaded a BHO detecter and it doesn't show anything bad.

sph Offline
If IE worked fine in safe mode, I suspect foul play. There are hijackers/malware that bury themselves so deep in registry settings (windows), config scripts (unix/linux), or plists (macos), that cannot be removed by any software and can be a tremendous PITA to get rid of. Uninstalling IE will not get rid of them either. Hopefully, I'm wrong. But if nothing else works, you will need to find what software is running in your PC (ie processes, services, and startup applications) and wean the possible "illegitimate" ones. You can also google "slow home page loading in IE" or something similar. I'm sure there's going to be a bundle of results.

OP Offline
It looks like it was my Google toolbar doing it. I took it off to eliminate 3rd party items and it works fine now. I was mainly using it as a pop up blocker. I actually think it loads faster than before I had problems. Something must have broken it, cause it was working.
Thanks for all your help.. Consider this one closed...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,609 Shoretel
189,494 CTX100 install
187,726 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (nortelvoip, BobRobert), 121 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024