web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OSP cable is effectively "CAT Zero". True, there are some manufacturers that make a CAT3 and CAT5 rated OSP cable, by adding the increased twist tightness, you are actually lengthening the copper pair.

People seem to be under the misconception that CAT5 or above is better. Perhaps in some cases, like typical indoor LAN wiring for data speed, but not in voice applications. I'm shooting from the hip here, but a thousand feet of standard OSP cable nets about 1,100 feet of copper conductor length. A thousand feet of CAT5 nets something closer to 1,500 feet of copper. So, you see by using a higher category rating, you are actually hindering the problem with distance, not helping it.

If you want to address this distance limitation professionally, you should consider sticking with standard OSP cable (PE39 or PE89 for example) and just use 22 gauge instead of 24 gauge.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

maybe Cat6 multi-runs

You can't be serious.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by hbiss:
maybe Cat6 multi-runs

You can't be serious.

-Hal
I was waiting for that...
:rofl: aok

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
KLD Offline
Now that you are aware of the effect of cable gauge....what makes you think paging audio won't carry? What gauge speaker cable? What voltage paging are you using? Or do you need a secondary distribution amp?

Well, :shrug: ????

Ken
---------
Paging audio definitely won't make it that far so we can tap into a phone speaker.

You lost me there. Are you saying you want paging from overhead or external speakers but you don't think that will work at that distance so you want to hack a phone apart and tap into the speaker??

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I believe he was thinking about using the amp in the building that is 1200' away for far end speakers.
I would use KLD's suggestion and use a secondary distribution amp in the second building. Just feed the secondary amp with audio/page output.

Admin
Admin
I would use a Cat 3 cable for the phones because a digital phone may not like untwisted pairs but higher cat rating will increase the distance. For the paging a 70 v speaker line will easily go over 1200' but could cause crosstalk or interference on other lines to close.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
You don't want to run 70volts paging through the same cable as the phone (it will bleed through).

Either put another amp in the other building and feed it with a 600 ohm source (off of your PBX or key system) or if you've just got one or two speakers there run an output off the amp through the telephone cable. Use 8 ohm/70volt transformers at each end. Step it down to 8 ohms going in to the pipe and step it to back up to 70 volts when it come out.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I would use a Cat 3 cable for the phones because a digital phone may not like untwisted pairs
Actually, you can't even buy OSP cable that's not twisted pair. It's just not as tightly-twisted.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Great tips, thanks.

As for the paging, Bldg #1 has a Bogen (old) 70v setup and the other extended Bldg #2 has the same.

I guess I was saying that the 600ohm source (off the Samsung 7200) wouldn't reach, but apparently I am wrong? Can a Cat3 4-pair voice cable carry 600ohm audio 1000-1100ft? I have never gone that far. I am aware Valcom has paging expanders to boost the signal (as well as noise I suppose).

Should I use a heavier guage cable for the 600ohm page audio feed - maybe shielded? 99.9% of the paging I've done is Valcom, with short <200ft runs at most. If someone has a specific part number for a good paging feed cable that would be fantastic.

We did an official measurement and it is closer to 1000' - bldg A to B, so I think we are good for the digital phones over say a Cat3 50-pair feed. The Samsung manual says the digital phones are good to 1310'.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024