web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Because it's VoIP, she can work from home over a VPN using a headset attached to our computer to take calls (as a matter of fact, she has yet to work a day physically located at the call center)

I think something like that comes down to "are you doing it because you NEED to- or is it something that you do just because you CAN".

With all respect to your wife, a company has to weigh the added costs of supporting remote workers and the necessity of not having them in the office vs some other means such as cell phones vs having them physically present. In your wife's case I think it was something they could do so they allowed it. In most cases spending less money on a system and hiring someone who will be at the office (who also would multitask) is more cost effective- from my experience as a business owner.

To bring this back on topic, just how many extensions and work stations are we talking about? Give us an idea as to the size of this company.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

A couple nice reasons for two CAT5e if they are going VoIP is that if you have to reset the phone (especially if the phone is PoE) you lose network connectivity briefly on the PC that is daisy chained to the phone. And if the phone's switch port dies or has issues, that adds to troubleshooting issues. It's easier to troubleshoot if the PC is directly connected to a port vs a phone.

Also, I haven't seen a lot of VoIP phones that have gigabit ethernet interfaces on them, if that matters to you. Those may exist however.

OP Offline
Originally posted by hawk82:
A couple nice reasons for two CAT5e if they are going VoIP is that if you have to reset the phone (especially if the phone is PoE) you lose network connectivity briefly on the PC that is daisy chained to the phone. And if the phone's switch port dies or has issues, that adds to troubleshooting issues. It's easier to troubleshoot if the PC is directly connected to a port vs a phone.

Also, I haven't seen a lot of VoIP phones that have gigabit ethernet interfaces on them, if that matters to you. Those may exist however.
Well, all these responses have settled the cabling question in my mind. Two cables is the way to go.

OP Offline
Originally posted by hbiss:
To bring this back on topic, just how many extensions and work stations are we talking about? Give us an idea as to the size of this company.
There will be about 60 phones on the network in two different locations.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,619 Shoretel
189,509 CTX100 install
187,769 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 197 guests, and 369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024