web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Note: I'm asking this question here because it relates directly to cabling.

As you are all well aware, most customers these days are asking for Cat 6 or 6a for their data cabling. The question is, does anyone actually use 10 gigabit ethernet, and if so, for what? By use, I mean actually move data around at that bit rate - just installing 10 gig switches and cards is one thing, but where do the bits actually come from? I have never seen a file server that could serve up data at 10 gigabits per second.

In my opinion, the only users for 10 gigabit per second are:

Telcos and ISP's in the CO and Data Center environment - almost always fiber

Military high-speed data acquisition - hardly a typical end user

Medical imaging equipment like MRI's - almost always fiber

High-End scientific users like CERN - all proprietary networks

So why on earth does the average small-to-medium business need 10 gigabits per second? Will they need it in the future?

I realize that this horse has been flogged pretty hard already, but I'm bringing it up again because now it seems like everyone wants Cat 6/6a.

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Not around here Jim. In fact I've only installed 1 Cat 6 drop as it was INSISTED upon by the CG involved. Did they need it it? NO!

I had even explained to the CG AND client that it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever as the rest of the network was Cat 5 or 5e. Did they listen? NO.

Did it make any difference? Again NO.

Like you stated, I have yet to find a client that needs to move that much data OR had the equipment to handle it.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
I believe 10GB cable installed today is for the future. In my case, my day job company is building a new building. We're going to install two 6a and two 5e at each drop. It might be overkill, but at least we're covered for the time when 10GB does become usable.

Adding a drop here or there doesn't make sense to use cat 6, for the reasons you mentioned, but wiring a whole building without considering the future would be foolish, imho.

Jim

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
How many times have you installed Cat 6 (end-to-end) and then discover the customer uses cat 5e at the desktop... :shrug:

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Online Content
Originally posted by Yoda:
I believe 10GB cable installed today is for the future.
While I hear what you're saying, I don't believe there is such a thing as "future proof". Next year or next month the IT world could change what they say is needed. How long have they been pushing CAT6? As has been stated except for a very few cases it's over kill and expensive. There's a very good possibility that when the day comes that the customer would need the higher standard, those standards would have changed and you'd rip out the CAT6 and replace it with whatever the current standard would be. May as well rip out CAT5 and save the customer some bucks.

Retired phone dude
Looking at it from a Telco installer's perspective, I don't think CAT6 is going to be considered overkill for much longer. Carrier Ethernet, which will soon be offered at 100gig, is way more affordable when broken down into bits per dollar compared to your standard TDM circuits like T1. If the customer's WAN is capable of 10gig they will want their LAN to match that. I could be all wrong, but I have seen the explosion of these services over the past year and just installed my first 10gig circuit for a medium sized school district yesterday and have installed 1gig circuits for customers who have gotten by with a T1 for a long time.

"wiring a whole building without considering the future would be foolish, imho."

I agree. For that reason, we push for conduit whenever we can.

All of my customers (hospitality) ask about cat6 and sometimes 6a. 95% of their data needs are internet to guests, and I can say that 0% of them come close to maxing out cat5e, let alone cat6. That said, we haven't installed a cat5e data network in a few years. :shrug:

Half the specs I get now call for cat6 for voice. grr... :bang:

Jack

The question is more important than the answer.
Online Content
Originally posted by Fletcher:
I agree. For that reason, we push for conduit whenever we can.
That would be as close to future proof as you could get, anything else is just a shot in the dark. Now if you could just get the customer to spring for it.

Retired phone dude
I don't believe that there is a single switch or NIC card in existance that is capable of more than 1 gig. And you can get 1 gig out of cat5e.

I don't really believe that any one will make such a thing as I think it will go to fiber before that.

Cat6 will be used for the new HDbaseT instead.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally posted by justbill:
Originally posted by Yoda:
[b] I believe 10GB cable installed today is for the future.
While I hear what you're saying, I don't believe there is such a thing as "future proof". Next year or next month the IT world could change what they say is needed. How long have they been pushing CAT6? As has been stated except for a very few cases it's over kill and expensive. There's a very good possibility that when the day comes that the customer would need the higher standard, those standards would have changed and you'd rip out the CAT6 and replace it with whatever the current standard would be. May as well rip out CAT5 and save the customer some bucks. [/b]
WHAT BILL SAID.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,855
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,663 Shoretel
189,569 CTX100 install
187,847 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, newtecky), 141 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024