Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Corwyn Offline OP
OP Offline
Has any one heard of this?

The inspector told the GC on my site that if we are stubbing a comduit off the wall and under the floor to an island location we will need to put lighting protection where the copper enters the pipe and the cabling in the comduit MUST be OSP to the wok station.

He claims it is in the NEC - I have 2008, but can't find it. Does anyone have a 2010?

C

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Never heard of such a requirement. Since when do electrical inspectors specify products? Remember, the NEC is not a design guide; it is strictly there for safety.

OSP cable is only required to be protected if it is exposed to lightning and extends beyond the confines of a city block.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Corwyn Offline OP
OP Offline
That's what I understood, but according to one of the electrician the inspector actually brought in the code book and showed the head EC where it was. The guy left before I could talk to him so I couldn't get the code - it si not in 800 or 250, but the guy (according to the guy on site gave the lead EC the code!?) Can't wait to see this. Maybe it's something new for 2010?

I'm not buying it for a second. There is nowhere in the NEC that stipulates outside plant cable must be used for runs in conduit with lightning protection for an under-floor cable that is indoors. Ask for him to cite the actual article. I'm almost taking a personal interest in dragging someone to the mats here.......

Am I safe to assume that this is your job at the hospital in Henrico County, Cory? I know that the City of Richmond inspectors are ball busters with insane expecations, but Henrico follows a much more relaxed set of state guidelines.

Someone is blowing smoke here and I'm choking upon it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
What a crock.

There are hundreds of thousands ---millions--- of work stations in this country, fed via conduit, using inside wire. Every office building with poured slab floors, by design and necessity, has conduits running to the middle of the floor where the work stations are. How else would you do it?

Is he actually recommending OSP, a protector at EVERY location where a conduit descends from a wall, goes under a floor, and comes back up at a desk?

Besides, certain types of OSP cables are ILLEGAL to use inside a building.

Absolutely ridiculous.

New York State has an office in the state capital where contractors can get a "second opinion" (just short of an Article 28 hearing) on fire and building code issues. If you know someone (a govt official, such as fire marshal, fire chief, etc) who is a member of NFPA (the publishers of the NEC) try to get an opinion from the source.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

I was gonna say, I was always under the impression that you can't use filled cable indoors beyond the first 50 feet of entrance due to the flammability of the gel.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Not exactly, Jeff. It is the polyethylene jacket that is not rated for indoor use. Filled or not, you can't run it beyond 50 feet unless it is in conduit.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,846
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,656 Shoretel
189,549 CTX100 install
187,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 146 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024