Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
#483675 10/13/05 03:46 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The only limits on 1A2 are the fusing/power supply ratings, and of course the number of intercom dial codes. As for the protectors, don't go with something low-voltage rated because ringing current will trip them. You will need standard ones, typically rated at 235 volts. Anything lower will result in miscellaneous problems, specifically ring trip.

As for the Melco units I had mentioned, they are about the highest quality you can get, and yes, they are solid-state (opto-isolated). They are in a blue plastic wall-mount enclosure with screw terminals for the connections. Melco was a HUGE manufacturer of 1A2 intercom systems for Bell companies and probably the biggest name in service observation units. These cost a lot more than the ones you located, but if it works then go for it! Again, if you need one, just let me know and I will send it out.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#483676 10/13/05 04:10 AM
Thanks Ev. I know Melco means quality. I didn't know they were opto-isolated. I'm going to cancel the order and take you up on your gracious offer. I'll send you an offline e-mail.

I can't believe the hospitality exhibited here by this forum. Thank you all.

And yes, I'm looking into the Porta Systems line protector. Sounds like an exact match for my requirement.

(smiles)

#483677 10/13/05 04:16 AM
No problem. That's what we are all here for!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#483678 10/13/05 04:37 AM
Originally posted by ev607797:
The only limits on 1A2 are the fusing/power supply ratings, and of course the number of intercom dial codes.
Dial codes?? The large systems I worked on were government and all buttons and buzzers. You couldn't talk them into dial intercom for anything. :scratch:

Retired phone dude
#483679 10/13/05 01:28 PM
Did plenty of button/buzzers myself; we also did a lot of them through removal of the locking pin to make spare line buttons signal keys. That was actually my preference instead of side car buttons. A lot easier too.

Then came the Melco, Teltone and Tone Commander intercoms. How could anyone resist? The rest is history.

Wow, I thought I was the oldest geezer in this bunch, but I guess you have me beat!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#483680 10/13/05 02:09 PM
Now now Ed, lets not discuss age :bow:

Retired phone dude
#483681 10/13/05 04:13 PM
JustBill:

Just to make you feel better, my first house, although rented, included a full 1A2 system with a 6A (touch-tone) that I found in a wire closet. A friend of mine helped me load the 7' rack full of relays (it was equipped for 60 stations)into a van. I lived there by myself, so I only needed about ten stations (ha, ha).

I decided to strip the thing down and wire it from scratch just to see how difficult or easy it could be. Man, I will tell you one thing...... I won't do that again! Tone Commander ML-8000 wasn't too far behind that thing, and imagine the shelf space in the hall closet I gained!

Man, I sound like such a geek right now. I swear I am not, despite my high school picture.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#483682 10/13/05 04:49 PM
Why is it that some people look down on 1a2? It's a pain to wire compared to later systems, but once installed it really works great! Even rotary dial isn't bad, is it really that hard to rotate a little wheel clockwise? Combined with Asterisk, this phone system is more appealing to me than the Partner system in the office that has cheap foreign made phones that seem to break very easily. If anyone knows of a phone better than 1a2 let me know, Just love those clear lighted buttons on heavy phones!

You can always tell when something is old if it says "Made in USA"
#483683 10/13/05 05:03 PM
Pizza joints still ask for 1A2 to this day. We will do these installations, but it's almost impossible to obtain new phones anymore. The KSU is bulletproof, but the phones in this kind of environment get beat to death. Even a REALLY good refurbished phone has it's faults.

If we could still purchase new Western Electric 1A2 sets, we would probably be selling these systems to any food service business.

Let's face it, that's all they want, and usually all that they really need. Put a "fancy" 1A2 touch-tone phone in the manager's office and everyone is covered.

One more thought; pizza joints are usually "incoming-only", so rotary dial phones would cut down on employee's personal calls. The employees probably don't know which direction to turn the dial :dance: in this day and age! "Where's the SEND button on these phones?" Something for business owners to think about.

If anyone has any money to invest, maybe we could fire up the old Western Electric plants in New Orleans or Omaha where the good stuff was made. It would be nice to have an alternative to heavily-featured systems that customers can't understand, "just in case".

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#483684 10/14/05 03:07 AM
I was telling someone yesterday that back in 1984, when we started our little company out in California, I was advised by PacBel to get a "Merlin" system. I said, "Okay, how much?". They said "around $6K, give or take". I said "what are my other options?. They said, "spend more". I said "no thanks".

So I called around and found an independant telco contractor, and he told me to get a 1A2. One of the best business decisions I ever made. $1800.00 with intercom, 4 lines and 10 sets - INSTALLED. Today, I think I could sell those sets (they are all MINT) and get a good chunk of that back I think (smiles).

I still have that old 501, and all the sets. And since my new "home" is already prewired for 1A2 (thank you SAC), it's really good that I kept this system.

As I eluded earlier, lightening strikes are VERY common out in rural Texas, and happen frequently. I just can't see spending a ton of money on a solid state system, only to have it fry in the first year. At least with the 501, I can change out a line card quickly (more smiles) if this happens. Although, I am also aware that a strike close by or directly to the lines at the base will destroy the 501 too. But since the wires are buried, I can't see this happening.

In talking with you guys, and reading on the net, I've learned alot about the 1A2 in the last few days, about what it can do, and it's limitations. I really like this system.

Does anyone know if the Melco intercom(s) had a "call all stations" input? I'm thinking about replacing my relay intercom with a KT-19, and putting a station at the front gate. Visitors would puch a button (preferred), or pick up a handset (if someone hasn't ripped it off the pedestol) and "all stations" on the intercom would be buzzed, allowing any station to answer. The other alternative is to use a 401 line card, and a dedicated set. But this wouldn't allow me to answer the call unless I dedicated a button on all the other sets for just the "gate phone" - and I am already using them all (4 lines, hold and intercom). Any suggestions?

As you can see, my mind has not stopped thinking about the possibilities here (grins).

"Our's is a happy world!"

Rikki

P.S. Ed, your "package" is on it's way. Thanks again!

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,607 Shoretel
189,491 CTX100 install
187,702 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024