Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#523955 07/01/10 05:54 AM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Dave, When you found them at the dollar store, did you have to ask them how much they cost?
:rofl:

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#523956 07/01/10 04:25 PM
Originally posted by EV607797:
I just installed one for a customer who bought his there. I told him to keep the adapter and I just put plugs on the end of a piece of four pair cable. I then looped each pair four times down the side of a 66 block and cross-connected to the station cables. Certainly much more professional.
I have four of these "splitters" connecting 15 phones and would love to get rid of all the unwieldy cabling. I've been reluctant to remove these because I thought there may be some intelligence (looks like some kind of circuit board in there but haven't actually taken one apart.)

Understand I don't work with phone systems a lot so if possible, can you be more specific, please?

It appears there are only two live pins in each of the ports on the KSU (Is that what it's called?) How do you translate two pins to 4 pairs?

I have a couple 66 blocks I should be able to use.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve
#523957 07/01/10 05:19 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Steve, each jack for stations on the "server" or "KSU" will provide support for up to four phones. You basically connect all four phones in parallel to the same single pair of wires. You then just identify the phone's extension number in programming. The first one you plug in will come up as X301. When you connect the additional phones, you just have to use the navigation "wheel" on the additional phones to give the next three phones a unique extension number.

Although it is a four-pin jack, only the center two pins are active. The others are not used.

In a nutshell, the green/red comes out of the KSU and simply branches out to four greens and four reds, just like any typical splitter for regular home phone lines. There absolutely, positively are no electronics inside of these splitters.

Imagine placing five greens in one wire nut and five reds in another. It truly is that simple.

Hope this helps....

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#523958 07/01/10 05:44 PM
Steve, each jack for stations on the "server" or "KSU" will provide support for up to four phones. You basically connect all four phones in parallel to the same single pair of wires. You then just identify the phone's extension number in programming. The first one you plug in will come up as X301. When you connect the additional phones, you just have to use the navigation "wheel" on the additional phones to give the next three phones a unique extension number.

Although it is a four-pin jack, only the center two pins are active. The others are not used.

In a nutshell, the green/red comes out of the KSU and simply branches out to four greens and four reds, just like any typical splitter for regular home phone lines. There absolutely, positively are no electronics inside of these splitters.

Imagine placing five greens in one wire nut and five reds in another. It truly is that simple.

Hope this helps....
Ed, thank you so much for your explanation. Extremely helpful. I'm almost there...

So I'm splitting the single pair into 4 pairs. Not sure how to do that with a 66 block. Have a pair going out to each phone already. Do I just connect the first pair to the first phone pair then create a connection to the other three using some kind of bridge connector or something to that effect? If so, can I just punch these down with one "red" connected to the next "red" for example? Seems like in the past any time I connected two wires to the same terminal on the 66 block, it wasn't a solid connection.

Thanks again for your patience.

Steve
#523959 07/01/10 06:24 PM
RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Steve U, just think of it as 4 single line sets going to 1 port, the next 4 got to the 2nd port and so on.You can bridge or loop but never punch down one pair on top of the other on a 66 block.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
#523960 07/01/10 06:25 PM
I just installed one for a customer who bought his there. I told him to keep the adapter and I just put plugs on the end of a piece of four pair cable. I then looped each pair four times down the side of a 66 block and cross-connected to the station cables. Certainly much more professional.
Ed, I just re-read your post here. Thanks to your previous post I think I understand a little better. When you describe "plugs" on the end of a 4 pair cable, what is that? Does that mean a single pair that is combined with four? What type of connector is that?

Also just noticed the "splitters" referred to in other posts are different than what I've been using:
https://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5771125&CatId=5127

Looks like they perform the same function but are much more expensive. Also, the cable length, combined with the "whip" on the other end gives me about 16 ft of cable to span about a 3 ft distance. What a pain...

Thanks again for you help!

Steve
#523961 07/02/10 08:16 AM
What I dont understand is the price Staples is selling it for u can have a dealer install it for u for that same price ?! Dosen't make sence !!

A. S. Tech Communication, Inc.
559-628-0901
Al Rivas CEO
#523962 07/02/10 08:32 AM
Here's a link that shows you how to loop a 66 block click here so you'd loop 4 for the first port 4 for the second and so on.

Retired phone dude
#523963 07/02/10 09:01 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by Al Rivas:
What I dont understand is the price Staples is selling it for u can have a dealer install it for u for that same price ?! Dosen't make sence !!
IMHO, that's exactly the way it SHOULD be! If the consumer were given the choice they would choose the dealer if they're smart.

It would also stop places like Staples to sell them so cheap that Joe Blow could afford to buy them there, then turn around & resell on eBay.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#523964 07/05/10 03:37 PM
No system bashing allowed in the open forums.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,423 Shoretel
189,186 CTX100 install
187,437 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024