web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#528251 10/26/11 08:18 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
I have a newly-installed SBX that I'm having trouble getting set up for remote IP programming access. I have the static IP address entered under PGM108, button 2 and the gateway IP address entered under button 4. I am using a 4 port switch that splits out the LAN connection to the SBX ahead of the customer's router. Is there something else that I'm missing?

PS: I'm not able to ping the SBX, but I can ping their gateway just fine.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Ted Offline
Hi Ed, everytime something doesn't work on the SBX i rock the power switch. I know you probably already did that but maybe...
ted

Moderator-ESI - Executone
Moderator-ESI - Executone
ditto on the power cycle, it actually says that !

' Somewhere '. I did remember reading it.

oh, and don't forget, port forwarding on Both TCP and UDP

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Retirement 2019 ( It has happened )
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
If you can't ping it...it isn't on the web yet. Since you are ahead of the router all ports are open already. Are you sure it is an active public IP? Nine times out of ten when I can't ping a device hanging open on the web that is the problem...the ip has been shut down by the isp for inactivity or just stupidity.

The tenth reason is because I entered it, the ip address, wrong or the system needs a reset.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
We finally schlepped back up to Baltimore to check this out and found that the customer had entered the gateway's IP address incorrectly. It was nice of them to try, but I figured that this could be the only reason for a static IP not working. I couldn't scold the guy, since he did me a favor by attempting to enter the gateway IP.

Regardless, everything is working great now. Having a live system out there to play with is going to be fun.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
So you put a switch ahead of the router and then set the ABC's IP as the customers static address? Does the router use a second static address? Is this a preferred method to not have the system behind a router and completely open?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
It is the method that works with the least amount of work. It is easier than port forwarding to an internal address, or sticking the SBX in the router DMZ. All the programming that lets SBX get out on the Web thru a router, like when using VOIP is one thing, letting packets come in, a whole different can of worms.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

OP Offline
@JCTSPhone:

Well not exactly. A $10.00 switch and a static IP saves hours of troubleshooting and finger pointing IF they have multiple static IPs available. In this case, the customer had extra IP addresses to use. The router uses their .210 address and they let us use their .211 address. It works flawlessly. We've been doing it that way for years with VOIP cards in systems as well. Set it up, plug it in, test it and it works forever.

When the customer or their IT person messes with the router, it doesn't have any effect on our stuff (or at least rarely). It isn't often that a commercial customer isn't afforded at least two IP addresses anyway.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Does this work with setting the MBX up for remote admin too?

Earl
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Yes, public IP assigned to the MBX and putting the system in front of any firewall is the easiest way to do it.

www.myrandomviews

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024