Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Seen today in Telecom Digest, a post from contributor Tom Metro, who writes:

Today I received a letter from Verizon regarding my residence in Newton [Massachusetts] saying "Verizon is replacing telephone wires and removing obsolete equipment to ensure long-term service reliability for our customers. To avoid future service interruptions we'll need to move your telephone service to our new fiber network. This will be done at no charge to you and you will keep the same voice service at the exact same price you're paying now."

Link to the entire post, and subsequent discussion, which will likely grow rather long in the coming days:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.dcom.telecom/ortzIMuDUIk

Jim
===================================================================
The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Jim
They have been doing this in NY for so me time. FIOS is there goal

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
In my area, Verizon has abandoned the FiOS rollout, citing loss of revenue. The community where I live won't get the service at all. Not that I'd even subscribe to it if I could, after all of the issues that our customers have had with it. The issues namely are power failure (8 hours is quite a pipe dream; more like 2-3 at best) and the absence of loop supervision.

They have stopped destroying or removing existing copper drops like they did when FiOS first came out. In new commercial buildings, they do feed them with fiber, but they still install large-count copper in parallel and use it as the primary means for service.

We see customers who order circuits, such at T1/PRI getting them delivered via copper, even in fiber-fed areas. I think that they are realizing that it isn't quite as easy as they had thought it would be to do a complete plant conversion.

One of my friends who was a splicer for Bell Atlantic was moved to Verizon's fiber crew. He and four of his co-workers were put back on copper I&M full-time late last year.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I am in at&t territory. My friend's office building was built in the 1970s. At some point they ran out of copper pairs so they abandoned the OSP in place and switched everything over to a DSC Litespan fed by fiber. The old copper is still there, but everything comes off the Litespan.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Verizon is in the process of capping FiOS. The company will support the service in areas where it has been deployed....and forge ahead where it has started the legal process. Word has it that Verizon is looking to switch to a wireless system to deliver various services. As it relates to Verizon moving everyone in FiOS areas to fiber...not going to happen. Verizon's use of "Dark Zones" prevents it. We've had FiOS for years. Phone service has been fine. My Avaya Partner ACS has no problems with FiOS. Disconnect Supervision is present & accounted for.

Last edited by dexman; 05/04/13 07:27 PM.

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
I think this may be the wireless system that Dex is talking about. This story in the Asbury Park Press is about V deciding not to rebuild the copper plant in Mantoloking, NJ after hurricane Sandy:

https://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013305020135

Strange thing is, if you google "Verizon Voice Link," you get a bunch of articles similar to the above, but nothing from V. Maybe they are not actively marketing it yet, or maybe they have already changed the name to something else.

Jim
==================================================
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

I wonder how they propose to address business customers that need multiple lines and services?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Here in Western PA, FiOS is very much the Verizon answer to ALL services. We just installed four PRI lines in an old Westinghouse motor build facility which has been converted to offices and, even though there are thousands of pairs of copper, EVERYTHING is being fed by fiber. Maybe it's because Verizon began their fiber roll out here in Western PA or for some other reason, but everything here is being fed via fiber.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
This might be it....or something similar to it.

Last edited by dexman; 05/06/13 05:51 PM.

I Love FEATURE 00
I believe Carl was testing one of those units or something similar.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,516 CTX100 install
187,774 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 176 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024