Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Deltron
Originally Posted by paulw
Down our way the SL1100 is quite a lot cheaper than the SV8100 as it comes bundled with InMail, 4 SIP TK licneses. If you do the same config for the 8100 it comes out allot dearer. The preloaded InMail and its 2 port InMail license makes it a no brainer for dealers who forget to apply the license at the time of installation as some do with the 8100 so at the end of 60 days the mail stops working..
That's true here also. He neglects to mention the additional dealer hassles and such with the SV too along with the licensing server for everything.

At least NEC is making it much like the DSX in that the huge majority of installations you just plug it in and off you go. I really disliked the SV scheme of licensing versus what we had with Vodavi. Everything was loaded and ready to go except for networking. No games of a new license to add phones and such.

Oh, c'mon. It takes like 5 minutes to setup and load the license including the customer database you fill out. Trust me I have some SV issues as well but the licensing server is not one of them. Besides, who is going on site without firing up the system on the bench first and loading the latest software and verifying everything is working? I have YET to lose to an SL1100 even though we are slightly (and I mean slightly) higher after they look at both systems and try the handsets out. Over a 5 year lease the difference is nothing and the feature set (and future proofing) you get is worth it for most users today. Also, I don't see DT300 sets being sold over the counter. There is no way NEC will kill their certified dealerships that way.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
who is going on site without firing up the system on the bench first and loading the latest software and verifying everything is working?
That's what killed us. Of course we fire up and load the latest software, patches and such on systems before we go out. I've been doing this since 1972 so have learned one or two tricks.

Don't do this with an SV for your ready spares though. All the licenses expire limiting you to 64 stations. Now you're a dead duck when the licensing server won't let you transfer licenses in the middle of the night leaving your customer over half down. Personal experience with this one. I'll never ever install another critical 24/7 system that requires licensing for station counts above the default. At least the SL is licensed for the maximum digital and analog stations by default.

Oh, I can understand why you haven't lost to an SL, one look at the DSX or SL phones and the customer will usually choose the SV, at least that was our experience. Not only that, obviously you're a long time dealer, not a trunker, and can knock them off with impunity. smile

You know that every processor key is allowed 3 times to get unlocked for a demo license and open it up right?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Coral Tech
You know that every processor key is allowed 3 times to get unlocked for a demo license and open it up right?
At least at the time once you fired this thing up you had I believe 30 days. We didn't realize it and our shelf units all had expired licenses.

In any case, anything that requires a license to go beyond the default number of ports will never ever be installed again by our company unless we know absolutely the customer will never exceed it, the risk is too high relying on something outside to enable it.

Guess you haven't been burned yet by a licensed product. Go play with NT stuff and get back to me on that one.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
I like the advanced license on the SL Inmail.
On the SV you need multiple voicemail to email licenses.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by ttech
I like the advanced license on the SL Inmail.
On the SV you need multiple voicemail to email licenses.
I think NEC is over all doing a good job on the SL as a replacement for the much loved DSX. Our biggest issue has been the audio, primarily on the speakerphones. Version 3.5 simplified programming for those not familiar with the SV and they added the 3rd expansion along with the vm not taking up usable ports.

I'd have liked to have seen a much smaller footprint since a 4 cabinet system will take a fair amout of wall space.

Maybe I'm used to it, I have no problem with the licensing part of the SV8100.

We get old too soon, smart too late
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,622 Shoretel
189,510 CTX100 install
187,771 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024