web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MnDave Offline OP
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
OP Offline
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Have we ever had any discussion on the forum as to why manufacturers are so hell bent on abandoning amphenols? I did a search on amphenol connectors but got lost in the forest. I know part of the reason is because of IP telephony but there are some weird wiring schemes occurring on the 8P8C connectors!

Last edited by MnDave; 06/13/14 03:10 PM.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I think you probably hit it. IT has a huge influence over what the manufactures put out.

Retired phone dude
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Amphernol connectors are really not designed for high speed data. While 25 pair CAT5 cable does exist, I am unaware of 25 pair CAT6 cable.

I Love FEATURE 00
I don't think Dave is necessarily thinking about data. Plenty of digital phone systems still are being made where the interface would be more efficient if it was 50 pin Amphenols. But I think Bill is correct. IT weenies have no idea how to deal with anything but patch cords and the manufacturers are catering to them, not us old phone guys who are a dying breed.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
IT types understand only patch cords. They are totally clueless when it comes to high density connectors. If they can't jam solid wire into a 8P8C satin cord connector, they are lost. Unfortunately, most manufacturers are looking for the "plug and play" day when a craft person is irrelevant.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OH give me and others like me a break. I may not know as much about telephone systems and equipment like several you do, but I know a heck of a lot more than many others around here do and I'm learning more and more every day about everything I work on or with.

Bashing IT people is just an excuse because you don't know squat about IT and it's requirements and you don't like the fact the the straight phone industry is dying.

Technology is moving away from the old ways and the current new systems might not b the best, but they are still very young compared to the old established telephone ways that were developed by a monopoly and therefore didn't need to try and please everyone.

The Amphenol connectors are being phased out because they just don't work with the required bandwidth needed these days. They were great for what they were designed for back in their day, but that design is obsolete for this day and age

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Well, "required bandwidth" isn't a consideration when you're talking about digital phone sets.

However, the design of rack mounted telephone control units and modular connections works well with structured wiring systems, when the station cabling is terminated on patch panels on the rack. Just be sure to consider cable management as part of the installation.

Plenty of phone guys know enough about IT to do a fine job of installing systems that can coexist with the data network side.

Point taken. I am sorry if I have offended you with my comment. I am only speaking from my personal experience. For every one of you, there are 10 that leave wiring closets, main frames and IDFs looking like a tornado hit.

I respect the IT professional that "does it right." Same goes for telephone crafts people. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "unprofessionals" that make everyone look badly.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
The topic has to do with why manufactures are moving away from amphenol connectors as a way of terminating phone systems. The fact is the manufactures are catering to the wants of the IT community. While name calling is not called for in any discussion on this forum, this does hit a nerve with quite a few of us. It's a fact of life things change and in some opinions not always for the good. So let's continue on in a bit nicer tone. computerprobs

Retired phone dude
Yeah, it's Friday the 13th and a full moon. I'm love'n IT guys today.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,791 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024