Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Originally Posted by justbill
I do see an existing member of CountyTech who registered in 2005 with 75 post.

Well, I guess it is. Not really sure what happened then, but it was seven years ago, so who knows. I may have tried to log in with the other ID and that's why it got stored in the browser password memory. Don't know why this one didn't come up when I looked in the same place for it this morning.

Delete and or merge as you will.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I see that the old account has been logged into. I merged the new account into the old one. The new account is now gone.

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
Now can somebody discuss why the protector block is failing?

And suggest an alternative? I always trusted Porta, but now I'm wondering.

Since the modem is working, I'm guessing one of the three points stopped most of the charge.

Third point was the Phone In/Out ports on a CyberPower 425VA UPS. I was never sure how reliable those were and that UPS is also dead now.

NID interface device protector, sneak fuses, Porta device and UPS; three of which failed but somehow managed to damp enough of it that the SagemCom 1704N modem still works.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Originally Posted by Rcaman
We have covered bonging extensively in other posts.

That is always a really high topic. laugh

I think this is a better fit for the Cabling forum

I Love FEATURE 00
Online Content
So it didn't get the NID protection or at least it reset? If it did that much damage at the Porta and the Siemens after going through the NID and all grounds are bonded, I don't see what more you could have done.

You said it also took out other equipment, which makes me think it came in through the power and not the phone lines and arced over to the phone lines probably within the building. I would drive a temporary ground to test my existing ground, just to make sure I've got a good ground to begin with.

Back in the days of open wire we'd see lighting come into a building burning the carbons to ground and opening the fuses and still blowing the phone equipment off the wall. There's not much you can do about a direct lightning hit, as you've probably found out.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Could be anything. Could have come in on AC and worked backwards towards the NID I guess. No way to know for sure.

Of 7 UPSs of various sizes and brands, 4 are working fine, one I'm not sure of, the one mentioned above passes voltage to the surge protected outlets, but no battery function. The last one is smoked well -- I'm sure you know the odor.

Two GigaBit switches appear to be dead. NIC cards in two computers are gone, but the computers seems fine. Third PC is toast, won't boot.

A few wall warts, maybe a cell phone repeater.

Aside from the odor from the UPS, the only visible indication anywhere inside or out is that shattered sneak fuse. That's why I suspected the phone line. However the brand new DSLAM installed down the road within the last year is still working fine.

Phone feed cable down this road is mostly buried with monuments supplying the premise drops.

Anybody familiar with ITX UltraLinx protectors for 66 blocks? Would they help?

Whole house surge protector mounted at the breaker panel will save you a lot of headaches. Cost installed is less than one of the blown GigaBit switch.

Your hit came in through the ac line based on what is fried. You're lucky more wasn't fried.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Do you have a well for water? This has happened hundreds of times around here. The old well casing was probably steel and had a bond wire from the casing to the house. Over the years, pumps are replaced and plastic pipe is used. The bond is broken and now you have a perfectly good path for lightning to travel to your house on the old, disconnected bond wire.

I answered why the Porta Systems failed. There is no way to prevent damage from a direct or near hit. You can only minimize damage. ITW is good so is Sycom Surge. You can get a whole house lightning/surge system that will MINIMIZE damage but NOTHING will completely stop a direct or near lightning strike. It's physically impossible to contain that much energy in that short of time unless you go to extreme measures with an unlimited budget and the expertise of engineers that work with that. We have such a facility here in Western PA which was built by Westinghouse in Waltz Mills, Madison, PA. I have been told they were able to contain an 800,000 volt man made lightning bolt. If you saw the facility, you would then understand why I say the job of containing a direct or near strike is beyond what is commercially available.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
OP Offline
I've looked at a variety of whole house devices over the years in the $100 range that attach inside or outside the panel, Siemens, InterMatic, Square D, etc.. They all mention 'surge' but seem to deliberately avoid saying 'lightning'. The ones that do are much higher priced.

No well here. Used to work off a cistern until county water came in.

I have a 60' TV mast grounded and guyed. The cable is on a quick disconnect F connector inside the house that I pull when storms approach and it was undone for this storm.

This area seems to get hit quite a bit. Even some buildings with professionally engineered grounding systems have been hit more than once.

OP Offline
The thing that bugs me about the Porta is that the ports are blown instead of the gas fuses. Once I change the port, I can use the same fuse. I do change it however. I could understand if the fuse was toasted.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,295
Posts638,838
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,646 Shoretel
189,531 CTX100 install
187,784 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Memphisribs, Andyreed, Toner, Xdm), 167 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024