web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a client who has a existing up and running retail store and the company bought out the space of two other retail centers. The PM wants to extend two cat5 cables to the next building and then terminate it on a bix 1 a Demacaction Point. I know traditionally, I would use cross connect wire and then terminate for example one long wire for five phone from binder post 1 then 5 then then 9 and so on. The wire takes on the shape of a sinusoidal wave form. But what I would like to know is can a second pair set be terminated over a existing pair set on the binder post of Bix 1a?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
You're either talking in circles or talking American English. help

All kidding aside...

BIX 1A - 25 single pairs in groups of 5 groups
BIX 1A4 - Same as above but pairs on in groups of 4 pair wire
BIX 2A - 12 groups of 2 Pair connections (Like for older s-pr systems)
BIX 5A - 5 Groups of 5 connections for the same pair
BIX 7A - 3 groups o0f 7 connections for the same pair

There are others, but those are the usual ones.

The question is what are you using the 2 Cat 5 cables for?

If I understand your post, you want 8 individual pairs going to the next store, and in turn be able to X-connect several SLT's to the same pair.

If so, you can take the 1st pair and loop it across several connection points, then do the same with each pair. Remember your connections will be in the rear of the block once you're done. You may also need more than one block. Again depends on what you're doing.

Phone me if you don't understand. 819-564-2303

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
old post smile job was canceled for what ever reason. I figure, blue jumper pair can be looped from first pair to the start of the next pair, I think binder #5 for line one on a second bix1a for more phones that exceed the capacity of a bix1a.

nix the bix

66 is the fix

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
66 VS BIX. This should be good. popcorn

I Love FEATURE 00
Cute & short poem Arthur.

Those who haven't worked with BIX, can't get their minds out of the 18th century.

No-one uses 66 blocks in Canada unless they're working on VERY OLD existing infrastructure, which is getting pretty much zip up here.

Someone will have to explain to me just what you can do with 66 blocks, that you can't do with BIX.....in a whole lot less space. When BIX is properly set up and properly labelled, it can look real "Purdy" and easy to work on...

I agree with Arthur & others that sometimes "the old way is best" on some subjects, but for others, "the new way" is better, faster & cleaner.

Comparing 66 blocks to BIX is like comparing 1A key to TDM, or even IP systems. Night and day.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
When my former employer, Global Crossing [now part of Level(3)] built what ended up being the final OPS site in Boston, a Norstar key system was selected.

Whoever did the install used BIX.

The cross-connects were unruly and block labeling/color coding nonexistent.

True, that can be "blamed" on the installer(s), but it made for a huge headache trying to figure out what went where after the fact.

66 block wiring can also look like pile of spaghetti, but, the larger spacing between the pairs make working with wiring easier (to me anyways) than Krone, 110 or BIX.

But, as they say, YMMV.

I Love FEATURE 00
Most of my install I not given a full 4X8 sheet of plywood to install my telephone gear on. Real estate is the big issue .
Bix takes way less space.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
With 66 blocks, color coded backboards can be used to designate purpose and provide uniform spacing between rows and columns. smile

BIX may have something similar, and if it does, I wish it had been used at the office. frown

I Love FEATURE 00
Dex, there are all kinds of pdf literature on how BIX should be installed. Check it out.....you may just like it smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 86 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024