web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all! I am still learning as I go so bear with me.
Trying to fix a damaged cable at a site I was called to. Apparently their cleaning crew were stripping down and waxing the floors. Their machines somehow caught the phones cables and damaged the cables and pulled the jacks from the walls (the other jacks were covered with wax, etc). So far I fixed three out of 4 by replacing the jack ports with cat 5e (RJ11 compatible) (all I had at the moment) ports. So far so good except for the last one. I can tone it out, but no voice. I can test it with a butt set on the demarc and hear/see the provider, but still no voice at the customers jack. I replaced the jack 2 times, still no voice. Any advice guys.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Are you sure that you're testing the "Voice" on the right pair for that jack? Was it originally using a "Split Pair"?

Possible that when their machine pulled the jack from the wall, it damaged the cable. Try another pair on it. If no pairs, or any combination of pairs still don't work, change the cable to the jack.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
I am using blue white and blue for voice. So far this is the first time I am having an issue like this one. The other three new jacks worked fine ( I am using a simple one port rj11/rj45 combo).
Unable to change the cable to the jack (the jack has been replaced 2x) since it is an old building and the cable is built into the wall it is a standard cat 5.
Again thank you.

Last edited by C64PC; 12/14/16 08:35 AM.
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
If you remove the jack, strip off some of the insulation on each conductor, clip your buttset onto the wires and go offhook...what happens eh

I Love FEATURE 00
What pair was tied down at the Nid (station cable) when you started?. If cat 5 you have 4 pair to play with. Just put your toner on a pair and short it on the other end, if it stops tone the pair is continuous.

C64PC Offline OP
OP Offline
You are right. Found the problem, the cable (actually a Cat 3) was yanked very hard and found another break when I pulled some more out of the wall. Was able to get voice when I re crimped a cat 5e snap in jack on a different pair. Thank you for your help.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 103 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024