atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: chrislebeck upgrading MICS issues - 06/07/07 08:28 PM
i have a customer with a mics. that have maxed the basic cabinet out & require more stations. having confirmed with my supplier what i needed i got it. i got a 0X16 fiber station module, 1 fiber nam, and a 6 port fiber expansion card.

i turned off the system. plugged in the 6 port expansion into slot #1 & booted system up. display on 221 showed configuration error. so for fun i put it into slot 2 & same error. so i tried defaulting the system & then installing the 6 port. the system booted up but wouldn't let me into programming. kept saying: in use mega-sr.

i waited for 20 minutes. still same error. finally had to take it out & re-program whole system back the way it was.

why is this happening? i know i can have 2-6 port expansion cards in the system (per the manual).

my software version is: sp 30meF02 NAT

the software cartridge info:
nntm040c08cc
rel 01b
1998/08/26
na-mics 3.0
v5.02
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/07/07 08:37 PM
You can only have the 2nd 6 port expansion if you have the mega software.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/07/07 08:43 PM
currently there are no 6 port expansion cards in the system. i was adding the 1st. so would that mean that i would still need the mega software in order to use the 1st one?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/07/07 09:10 PM
No. Put the first 6 port in the correct slot and do the initial refresh to get it out of box condition.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 06:07 AM
i did the **startup to default it. turned the system off. then i put it in slot #1. booted it up. from there it just sat there at the date/time & wouldn't let me get into programming. always said in use mega-sr when i tried. wouldn't even let me change the time. ended up having to just take it out (lunch was over & they needed their phones back).
Posted By: vad60 Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 06:15 AM
Depends what you concidering slot #1. It has to be second slot from the left for first 6 port expension.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 06:24 AM
i'm talking about the 2 little skinny slots to the left of the 2 trunk cards and to the right of the power supply. they are labled #1 & #2 (with 2 being closest to the trunk cards).

i've done it before (without defaulting the system) with a 6 port copper expansion. the only thing that happened was that it forced them to go from a 2 digit number scheme to a 3 digit & i had to default the startalk because it was set for 2 digits.
Posted By: vad60 Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 06:35 AM
First 6 port expension has to be in the closest to the trunk cards slot.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 06:50 AM
Vad is right..the fiber card has to be in the slot closest to the trunk card slots.
Posted By: BOBCOMM Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 06:50 AM
Yep--expansion card goes into slot #2, then fiber goes into bottom connector to keep port numbering correct. Reboot the system without the expansion--then power down, install the card in slot 2--then power up again. The system should recognize the card then.
Posted By: Nickels Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 08:32 AM
Just another trick for nortel on the MIC's, always start on the right side? :rofl: :rofl:
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/08/07 04:17 PM
will try it out on monday or tuesday....many thanks!
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/11/07 06:28 PM
nope. still didn't work. did the **startup (just to be sure), powered down. inserted 6 port fiber module, powered up, did **startup.

still can't see the 0X16 module in fiber #3 or the new nam on fiber #8.

am i doing it right or do you think i have a back fiber expansion?!

at least it booted up when i stuck the fiber expansion card in slot#2!!
Posted By: vad60 Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/11/07 06:47 PM
Make sure that your fiber clicked in when you inserted. Red light inside 6 port expn or your 0 x 16 or NAM Module has to go away. If light is up your fiber is not in.
Posted By: vad60 Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/11/07 06:58 PM
BDW Your Stn.Module should be shown in Hardwere automaticelly. If it isn't and you have an option to Change do it then go into Maintenence and if it shows Unequiped Disable it manually and Enable it again. Port #3 is the lowest on the 6 port expension and #8 on the top. Nortel recomendes keep #8 & #7 for the Trunk expension.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/11/07 09:17 PM
red lights were all on in every port.

did that very thing. disabled & re-enabled. still didn't show.

i tried the nam & the 0X16 in several other ports as well.
Posted By: Nickels Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 08:31 AM
And your fiber patch cables you are using are new?
Posted By: luv2ski Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 12:24 PM
try placeing phone on 1st new station port...think wont show until phone plugged in
Posted By: Nickels Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 03:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by luv2ski:
try placeing phone on 1st new station port...think wont show until phone plugged in [/QUOTE
On any station port on that 0x16. Good call Ski.

As for the NAM, after you plug it in, how long are you waiting for it to come up?
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 04:41 PM
nickels>>tried different fiber cords.

luv2ski>>phone showed nothing. and i wouldn't thinkit would until the mics see's the card

nickles>>i have waited up to 20 minutes for the nam and/or the 0X16 to come up. as a matter of fact they are STILL plugged in and the system STILL doesn't see them as of today. so over 24 hours.
Posted By: Nickels Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 04:56 PM
I am pretty sure if there is no set on the 0x16 it will not appear in the maintnce side. As for the NAM what software is it? You are MIC's 3.0 correct?
Posted By: telemarv Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 05:05 PM
Does this system work at all without the expansion card?

You don't need any phones plugged in for the system to see the modules.

What are your software revs MICS and NAM?
Posted By: Nickels Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 05:14 PM
The last 2 mega systems I installed for grocery stores and there were 7.1 software, the ox16's, did not show up until I plugged in a set on each.
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 08:47 PM
nickels & marv>>see 1st post for software version for mics. i think that it means it is 3. something.
not sure on the nam.

marv>>yes the system works without the card. it has been working for at least 2 years. they have just out grown the 0X32 basic cabinet and the startalk.

nickels>>i was thinking like marv. that the system SHOULD see the module even though there are no phones on it. it SHOULD see the nam anyway but it doesn't!
Posted By: Nickels Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/12/07 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Nickels:
I am pretty sure if there is no set on the 0x16 it will not appear in the maintnce side. As for the NAM what software is it? You are MIC's 3.0 correct?
I was only trying to confirm that it was 3.0 on the mic's as you have advised earlier. I was trying to confirm the softwares of both to make sure they are compatible. Do you hear tones after the NAM boots up? As for the sets on the 0x16, not sure, but I have not seen them in maintenance until I placed a set on them. So maybe I am the only person in NA to have that difficulty, but I highly doubt it. And is the NAM new, are you adding this? If so why a NAM and not a call pilot?
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/13/07 06:07 AM
nam or call pilot.......price was an issue there. i could get a refurb nam really cheap so that's what they wanted. the ox16 & fiber expansion were also refurb from same place.

i'm not really sure how to find out the version of the nam. and yes it did do some beeping. and the display went thru several different codes (not sure what they were off hand). i think it ended up on code 00.

if i have some more time i will try to run by there and leave a phone attached to the 0x16 to see if that helps.
Posted By: dans Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/13/07 06:34 AM
Have you tried different fiber expansion and station module?
Posted By: chrislebeck Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/13/07 05:31 PM
no i haven't. i didn't have a spare one of either. i'm going to get another 6 port fiber card and see if that will help it.
Posted By: Nickels Re: upgrading MICS issues - 06/14/07 12:11 PM
Originally posted by chrislebeck:
nam or call pilot.......price was an issue there. i could get a refurb nam really cheap so that's what they wanted.
I bet the NAM is not looking so cheap now? The reason the NAM's are cheap is because of the hard drives are all starting to crap out. Call Pilots are on warranty and down the road, that NAM will be coming out for probably a call pilot anyways. If you advise the client, yes this is cheap, but you will have to replace it in x years, and then buy again. Most people understand. Who sold you the NAM? And how do you know it is a refurb NAM?
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help