I really don't understand why this becomes such a hot button issue. Why do some people think you're old & stupid if you don't see how great VoIP is?

I'm 36 years old and and started my own interconnect when I turned 21. I have a degree in General Electronics and a degree in Computer Engineering Technology. Telecommunications is my business but I can hang fairly well with the computer guys.

I have tried VoIP, experimented with it and implemented it. It is good for some things such as connecting remote offices through a private network.

But, I think what me and the rest of the old farts have a problem with are:

1) More than likely you have to upgrade your network infrastructure to begin with. Cabling, Routers, POE Switches $$$

2) Reliability. All of your eggs are in one basket. If the network dies, so do your phones.

3) Quality. After years of working on TDM, you develop a ear for call quailty. All of the VoIP products I have seen have a slight echo and sometimes a really bad sound due to compression or limited bandwidth. It can be lived with but, when you're use to better quailty sound, it is hard to go backward.

4) Lack of Certain Features. A different server for MOH? Paging?

5) Most of all, no one has ever told me of the advantage of VoIP. Several have tried, but I don't see the real value to spending 2-3 times more on a VoIP system.

I understand the economics of sending calls over an IP pipe between offices. But, I do not understand why it would be better to spend the money to upgrade your cabling, then your routers, then your switches just to get READY for a VoIP system. Especially, when I have TDM switches that have been running for 15 years.

Please don't tell Ed I borrowed his soapbox without asking. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I guess I will jump in here a bit. I think that FIRST and FOREMOST what we have to realize is that most IT/network guys out there are the equivalent of trunk slammers!

How many posts are there on this forum about
"sparky" FUBARing the telco wiring?! Well multiply that by a dozen and you start to get the feel for the IT/Network industry.
Secondly you seem to use the term VOIP as a generic term for multiple things - service providers like Vonage, VPNs where multiple sites are connected and LANs so it's kind of hard to follow where your complaints lie.

So REALLY - Your objections are somewhat moot.
By the numbers -
1) well what's the difference if "sparky" FUBARs the wiring or if "wanna be Bill Gates" FUBARs the network. How does this represent the quality of your favorite legacy PBX or VOIP ?

2) I'm not sure what YOU mean by "if the network dies" Do you mean your
1) internet service provider?
2) do you mean your switch, router or hub?
3) do you mean data servers?

3)Maybe this is an inherent issue with ms based system like Avaya IP and Cisco, but I certainly have never experienced this. Please list an example.

4) Again, this seems to be an issue you have with a specific brand or version.

5) Well VOIP is NOT for every application, just like any specific legacy system is not a correct fit for every user. That's why there are dozens of major players in the legacy PBX world. If you don't want to see the opportunities VOIP offers you, I certainly won't teach you. It makes for less competitions and more profit for me :rofl: