Got called for the annual "please come over and get our phone system up and running" from the local rich folks' hotel/restaurant. Every Spring, I go find out why the entire system is dead, or why some rooms in the hotel aren't working, or which VZ lines have gone bad over the winter. I spend a day or two getting the whole place running. Sometimes it's the memory batteries in the Partner system have run down, sometimes it's mousies have chewed through the station wiring, sometimes it's the new management doesn't know how phones work...

I walk in, take a look at the KSU, and it's unplugged. That answers their question of why the whole system is dead.

I see that the KSU which I have been massaging for years (and which I keep trying to get them to replace) is gone. The KSU (which is unplugged) has a sticker from a company located in the next county, a 1.5 hour drive and a boat ride away.

I call the company and ask them WTF? Why have you stolen my customer? Lots of apologizing, lying, excusing, etc. The customer has no clue when or why the company came all the way out to this island to replace a system.

The local manager, a decent guy, understands the gravity of the situation: I live a mile away, and have been very good to these folks, responding at a moment's notice on a holiday weekend to solve an emergency for them. Sometimes the emergencies didn't involve the phones; sometimes it was the drink machines, the kitchen ventilators, the gas grill, etc that didn't work, and it was APB to the rescue.

So, I tell them "sorry" I don't work on other companies' equipment...warranty, insurance, etc., issues.

I complained to the local county department of consumer affairs that an unlicensed contractor from outside my county stole my customer. They are not interested in pursuing the matter.

So...this summer, I will not get called in the middle of the night because some rich POS can't get his WIFI to work in the hotel room.

I'M FREE!!!

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"