OSP is really a completely different industry. Different tools, different materials, different cable, different required skill sets. I had about 12 or 13 years in when I did my first OSP job. I was like a babe in the woods. Good thing my partner knew that end of the business.

The job was to run a 100 pr cable from one end of creation to the other - all on the grounds of the Bronx VA Hospital. The cable ran inside the building in conduit for a while, then out to a series of manholes, then out the last manhole and was piped up the side of a building. Then it ran aerial for a couple of thousand feet on poles, went down the side of the last pole, was trenched into a building, termed and then extended a few hundred feet to a cook box.

A little bit of everything. When I was finished with that one I had as good an education as you could get.

My partner made out a list of what we'd need: Everything from hooks and belts to three bolt clamps and strand grips. Icky Pic cleaner, thru bolts, a brace and bit. Kellums and splice cases and protectors and......

I thought the supply man was going to cry when he got the list.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"