Originally posted by glacier37:
The signal coming out of the pedestal is determined by amps throughout the cable companys system and what kind of tap is in the pedestal. The drop cable that comes to your house is tested to see if it is adequate for your services. If the signal is to low the provider will put in a small house amplifier and hook up all of your tv's and other equipment to a splitter. As far as the different levels of cable service, we use devices called traps to block out services that you do not have. That is pretty much how it works in a nutshell.
Hello.

Please let me know if I understand it correctly from what I have read from your post.

The cable travels through many amplifiers before it actually reaches the pedestal in front of the house.

There is no individual amplifier inside the each pedestal in front of a house.

The Amplifiers are complete separate boxes from the pedestal which are only used to the amplify the signal and nothing else.

These amplifiers along the way do not have adjustable setting but rather just amplify to their max all the time.

Therefore if the signal coming into your house is too week. The only option is add a personal amplifier inside the house.

There is no option to increase or decrease the signal from the pedestal itself. The feed is simple:
1.Turned on or off
2.Different levels of service(not signal strength) are controlled by various filters/traps on the cable line itself.

Please let me know if this is how it work or if I am still off base on the concept.

Thanks!

Diagram of cable network