Originally posted by brianl703:
I had an interesting problem where the signal levels coming into my house were way too high, the cablemodem was reporting a low S/N ratio, and the analog TV pictures looked noisy.

As far as I could determine an amp somewhere was being overdriven. I called Comcast and they sent someone out who confirmed that the signal levels were way too high and that the problem had to be referred to a line tech.

It took Comcast only two weeks to fix the problem, during which time the cablemodem pretty much didn't work. I called up Comcast to complain about the situation and they basically gave me a $240 discount on my bill ($20 over 12 months).

This was about 2 years ago. I sure hope their response time is a little bit better now that they're in the phone business.
I have heard a lot of problems about comcast.

1. One person was signed up for Internet however it was not working because comcast had a outbound filter on the line in the pedestal. The tech removed the filter and the internet worked. They got a bill for $50 saying " failed self installation". Comcast customer tech support out not remove the charge.

What did they expect the customer to do? Pick the lock in the pedestal and remove the outbound filter? Is that what they consider a self-install?

2. Randomly charging leases for cable modems: I have heard of customer being randomly charged leases for cable modems out of the blue. Comcast will just assume(sometimes at random) to charge a lease for a modem without any idea if they own it or not. They will demand you provide then with a receipt faxed to them and will not remove the charge. They do not look up the serial number of their modem against a database, just make assumption that all modems are leased by them.

3. Being charged additional outlet installation fees without even installing or even so much as touching the line. Comcast tech pluged and removed from filter in the pedestal, when in the utility room to check the master input cable feed. Then counted the number of cables he saw on the splitter and charged the customer as if each outlet had been installed by him when they were not even touched.

4. Hurricane took out internet service for 3 weeks in the Florida residence. The problem was completely documented and effected all the houses on the street. comcast however a credit was only given for 1 day because they said the customer did not call ealier. Customer said " there was a hurricane and I kept seeing your trucks working on the box outside, I assumed you were on the problem"

I am sure there are a lot people with a lot of horror stories about them.