web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tenex Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all,

I've been going through a bit of an issue getting Verizon to clear noise on a POTS business line.

Ever since service was installed, there has been hum and crackling on the line. They traced it back to the plant, and going through all of the pairs to my terminal didn't correct the issue (our second business POTS line actually has zero noise). As a result, the initial technician identified the F1/F2 to the CO as the culprit.

Fast forward to a few days ago, and two techs came out. They said they 'rebuilt' the pair, and I noticed that noise seemed to be largely absent from the line for about 30 minutes after they left. Following that, the noise returned.

Today, there is zero dialtone on that line. Without dialtone, the hum and crackle is still present.

Is it too much to ask that Verizon deliver a clean POTS line? Does it seem unreasonable to request the line not have hum? The hum is almost indiscernable on their butt sets, but perfectly clear on regular telephone instrument (a whole assortment of WE500s, which don't exhibit the noise on any other line).

Don't get me started on their inability to bill correctly or provision features...

Would I have better luck going over to AT&T, which is a CLEC in my CO? I realize they would use the same cable... This is in southern Brooklyn, N.Y.

Thank you!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Brooklyn is notorious for bad copper, most notably bad block. I've both lived (Marine Park and Bensonhurst) and worked (43rd & 3rd, special services garage) in Brooklyn and know it as the back of my hand.

Whoever you go with, you'll be sitting on the same sorry excuse for copper. And if you go with a CLEC, good luck when the cable fails - because the CLEC lines are the last ones that get fixed. I'm speaking from experience here.

Given the shape of the plant, all you can do is:

a) Complain until they decide to finally fix it...and I mean complain *every day* until it gets to be a "chronic" that a second or third level manager will notice and possibly have splicers come out and get it right.

b) Get a PRI - at least these get fixed the same day.

c) Go with a cable company

Good luck.

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
tenex Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply.

Bensonhurst is right on the money. I'm just a couple of blocks from the CO.

What do you mean by 'block'?

I wonder why this area is so notorious...

Block as in F2 - you'll even see F3 in some areas but not where you are.

Are you coming out of 71st or 77th st - not that it makes a difference - both of these COs are actually very good, it's the outside plant that is shot.

The area (the entire borough, actually) is notorious because Verizon is not putting any money into plant maintenence, expecting that everyone will eventually switch to FiOS...in my opinion, that is.

Good luck.

(Sandy Denny)
tenex Offline OP
OP Offline
Coming out of 71st -- I'm pretty sure my F2(?)ends at 20th Ave and hits the 'underground' (F1?) to the CO.

The tech was able to find a good, clean pair for my second line from the cross box to my location, but that first line is a real problem child... tried a whole slew of pairs from the cross to the building.

The next time they come out, have them fail ( proper term is "put in a one pair DC") the block if that's where the issue is.

I'm so happy I don't work in Brooklyn anymore... call

Good luck. You'll need it.

(Sandy Denny)
tenex Offline OP
OP Offline
Do you mind explaining briefly what the DC is? Just a curious mind here and I love traditional telephony.

Sorry for all of the questions. Most of my experience has been with BellSouth, which retained a much more Bell System approach to service. I loved all the fresh cable on the poles, and ne'er an outage do I recall...

Well, basically, if I "run" the whole box (on a repair which would be the case applicable to your situation) and can't find a good pair - be it F1 or F2 - I'll make the call to cable maintenence and tell them that I need to DC a pair. They will take the info, and send a team out to clear *one* pair for the circuit in question (two pairs on a 4-wire circuits, obviously) putting the customer (you) back in service.

No clue on where the term came from, though.

Once again, good luck.

(Sandy Denny)
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Just guessing, but maybe from "Dead Count"... :shrug:

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
tenex Offline OP
OP Offline
Great info! They got the line back in service today, so they might've accidentally disconnected my pair over the week... Verizon tends to do that when rearranging services for other customers (in my experience). It's interesting that I was able to continue hearing the hum and crackle without the dialtone, as though there was still battery present.

I still have the hum and the crackle (actually, the crackling is more disturbing than the hum). But I'll take the steps to get it squared away. If nothing else, I'm making a lot of friends who are completely unappreciated by their employer, even though they've maintained a system that's saved countless lives and kept folks connected that otherwise couldn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 100 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024