web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#640260 03/09/21 05:31 PM
OP Offline
I have an IPOFFICE 500.

The story goes.... they had sustained a power outage a few weeks ago. They called because their PRI was not working. I deflected them back to AT&T to test before I dispatched out. Since they didn't call back, I called them 3 hrs later and it was up so I let it go.
The office which is all digital sets did not notice anything else was wrong. Yesterday they had some wiring work to do and that's when I discovered that ALL analog ports (about 80) had no dial tone. I saw 1 module had a red light and another was dark. The other 6 modules were green and the ports had battery but no dial tone. Swapping the power supply from the RED module to the DARK one gave it lights but would only continue to flash red and made no difference so I put them back.

I reset the power to all modules then reloaded the configuration file. The original green lighted modules came back to life and were now working fine.

I have a couple unused 30 port analog modules within the system (These modules are not the ones with removable cards.) that are configured, HAVE dial tone and working but with no stations physically attached.

My question is:

Can I simply remove module #8 and put it where #4 is now without any changes other than moving the expansion cable on the main and the station .cables?

They have 264 ports available but only about 90 active stations with no place to expand the business to. Yeah AT&T saw them coming. $$$$$$... at least I have spare parts.

Thank you for your insight.

Last edited by Not_sirius; 03/09/21 05:55 PM.
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Check the configuration, and see what the system is expecting to have on each expansion port. Remember in Manager, the control unit is Device 1, the 4 slots on the control unit are device 2, 3, 4, and 5, and expansion port 1 is device 6, and so on.

If Expansion port 4 (device 9 in Manager) is the same module as expansion port 8 (device 13 in Manager), yes you can just move the blue cable connecting the expansion module to the control unit. You will have to blank out the extension numbers on ID 801 through 815 (or 830) and recreate them on 401 through 416 (or 430)

If the type of module is different, be sure you have an offline configuration just in case. I would suggest deleting the extensions on expansion 4 (ID 401 through 416 or 430), NOT THE USERS associated with those extension ports), delete Expansion Module 4 under Control Unit (Dev No 9), physically disconnect the expansion cable from Expansion port 8, and do an immediate reboot when you send the configuration back. After the control unit comes back up, power off, connect the expansion module to expansion port 4 and power back up. You can delete extension IDs 801 through 816 (or 830) and put them back on 401 through 416 (or 430)

OP Offline
Hi Tommy,

Fortunately the modules are indeed the same.

So I need to remove the numbers assigned to #8 first then swap the modules.

After I put it back into the place of #4 and use its network cable to the control unit I will need to re-create the extensions that were there before

Correct?

From this can I assume this means the station software resides on the individual modules and not the control unit?

Thanks for your help again.

Ralph

It's all held in the 500 control unit.

If it currently thinks that there are extension IDs 401~430, those extensions will still be there after you do the swap. There may or may not be Users associated with those extension numbers.

To keep the config clean, I would note down the extension numbers on ID 801~830, go through the steps to get expansion 8 out of the "Control Unit > Device 13" part of the configuration.

Once you've got the module working out of Expansion port 4, just change the extension numbers associated with ID 401~430 to those that you had on 801~830

OP Offline
Thanks.

I will be going back in a day or 2. I was fortunate that due to the season none of these extensions were critical..... SO FAR

I'll look to see about getting unit #8 out of the control unit after.

I had similar problem the other day.

Customer had IT company doing a patch cord refresh the night before.
Tech connected one port ( port 6? or so? ) into a Fortinet POE switch.
I rolled in in the morning to make sure all was well, and it was not!

All extensions on 30 port module said wiating, or loading? I cant remember.

I traced all cables and removed the cable from port 6 connecting to Fortinet.

Tried rebooting numerous times, tried to load config from my PC, not SD card.

Still no success?

TTT? your help is always super Valuable and appreciated.

I looked at system and it did not see the 30 port module being represented / present.

Telesystems technician
I've seen where a computer's NIC card patched into a digital station port on an expansion module would take down all phones on the digital module. (Also where they were cross connected to feed cables going to IDF's, and some pairs were shorted in the feed cables).

Label and disconnect ALL patch cords going into the expansion module, probably reboot, then connect a phone locally to test. Keep that test phone working as you reconnect the patch cables until you kill the module again, and you're probably found the wire run that is shorted or has a computer NIC plugged in at the far end

TouchToneTommy that is my plan when I re visit site

Telesystems technician
TouchToneTommy, et al,
I returned to site yesterday Thurs. 05/05, and pulled all previous patch cables from my existing 30 port expansion module aka IP500 Digital Station 30.

I plugged it into power and it went from red light to green, to flashing green. No orange or amber light ever.

I then installed only the new proprietary patch cord from 30 port module to IP500 V2. Still same result.
I re booted IP Office. Same result.

So I installed new 30 port module. Same result.
I swapped power supply module. EXACT same result.

The IP office does not detect the 30 port module??

Telesystems technician
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
How did you do the reboot ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, dexman), 54 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024