atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Unicode T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 02:18 PM
Good Afternoon,

I have a project I have been working on for some time and need some assistance. I recently obtained a Carrier Access Channel Bank I. Likewise, I got T1 service for it as well. The trick here is that I need to connect the channel bank to an IVR server I have. The IVR server is strictly analog and consists of 24 ports. From what I understand about channel banks, they convert T1 lines to 24 usable analog lines. This is precisely what I need to accomplish. I need to access each line through the bank and plug it in to my analog devices. I also have a modular punchdown block that really doesn't need to be punched down. It's sort of plug and play. I have the link to it here. https://www.telephonestuff.com/cata...D1A4B91E942CF75B385FC42D01F&pid=3464 So I guess what my question is, is any of this possible using the equipment I have? Am I going about this the right way?

Any telecom help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank You
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 02:28 PM
That Siemon block will work for connecting the analog lines from the carrier access output to your IVR if they have single port modular input to the IVR . What was the other question ? Thanks
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 02:38 PM
Oh by the way , will you complete your profile . It helps us to know who we are helping ! Thanks Alot . welcome
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 02:40 PM
Thank you for you super fast reply. I would like to point out that I do not have a KSU or PBX to plug the channel bank into. I am running it stanalone. So I guess my other question is, how do I configure the channel bank. Currently, I have had very little success. I call the numbers the telco provided to me and I get busy signals. I have not yet performed a successful call. I am actively toying with the bank settings. Actually there are tiny switches. Many switches for that matter. Additionally, all LED lights are solid green. The STATUS light flashes green. I really don't know what it all means.

Just as before, any help or advice would be greaty appreciated.
Thank you again
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 02:51 PM
How ‘bout a lil’ more info on that “Carrier Access Channel Bank” you mentioned… I’d bet there are more variations of chan banks out there then switch you have to fiddle with on it. eek
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 02:54 PM
Do you know how your T1 Provider is handing off the circuit . Is it ESF B8ZS or D4 AMI ? Also do you have a manual for the Carrier Access unit ?
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 02:58 PM
I can tell you what I know about this particular model, or my understanding of it. This channel bank is a Carrier Access model. CAC Bank I. As far as I know, it can only carry voice transmissions. The CAC Bank II can do voice and data. At any rate, I do have the bank plugged into the T1 jack and all looks good. That is until I call a phone number associated with the T1. Then I get busy signals. All lights are solid green aside from the STATUS light that flashes green. Additionally, I do have the bank connected to a punchdown block that is running to my IVR server. Everything is connected but I have not been successful in getting a call throught yet. Know of anything I should try? Any tips you might have?

Greatly appreciated
Thank You
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 03:03 PM
I'm checking with the provider now. I am not sure how the circuit is being handed off. Which should I prefer?
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 03:04 PM
You know, I had a manual for this device. Now that I need it I can't find it. Isn't that typical?
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 03:08 PM
Since you're not carrying data on the channels format and coding does not matter … it JUST HAS TO MATCH AT BOTH ENDS!
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 03:11 PM
What kind of signaling ore you doing between your IVR and the channel bank? … The “duh” answer to your busy-signal is the lines are off-hook. (Somehow I doubt it’s going to be that easy.)
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 03:29 PM
Ok, the provider has told me this
ESF Framing
B8ZS Line Coding
Wink Start

As far as signalling is concerned between the bank and the IVR server. I am not aware of any signalling going on in that regard. The thing is the IVR server is actually just an external modem bank. The bank holds 12 external modems. Basically, I just want to route call through the channel bank to the modem bank. That's it. That's what I want to accomplish.

So what do you think? Do I need to go about this a different way? Need more equipment?

I'm open to suggestions
Thank You
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 03:53 PM
If telco is waiting for a wink and your not giving one you will get a busy. You say wink start, which way? Or both? Also if they are ESF/B8ZS, make sure you are. I would think you wouldn't have sync if you weren't optioned ESF/B8ZS.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 04:02 PM
I don't know if this means anything, but I can dial out. I have succesfully called others so far. As far a busy signals, those are now gone but the devices I have plugged in are not picking up the lines when they ring. I am so close, what am I doing wrong? Is it possible for the telco to send me dtmf tones or something along those lines?
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 04:31 PM
If your carrier access unit is correctly configured to convert the 24 T1 channels to 24 analog channels You sould be able to disconnect the IVR and just use a standard desk phone to test with . If these are Wink DID's the CO needs your Carrier Access unit to send a WINK "hello I'm ready for this call" back to your provder before the call can be handed off . FIND YOUR MANUAL or try to Google one . You are close .
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 04:38 PM
What model number Carrier Access unit do you have ? Is it a full or partial T1 ? I ask because you say you have 12 modems . The Telco won't be sending ringing generator .
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 04:41 PM
A standard desk phone like those associated with a phone system or just a plain old house phone? Additionally, when you say analog channels, do these consist of dial tones? I noticed when I placed a call, there were no dial tones. I simply dialed and it rang. I'm googling now looking for a manual.

Thank You so very much,
All of you are such great advice and tip givers
I will continue to play with this. Additionally, I will also keep my eyes glued on this forum for new postings.
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 04:45 PM
Once you find your manual verify the dip switch setting for signaling type . loop,immediate,wink or ground .
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 05:04 PM
Would having the telco change signalling types over the T1 line help. I mean other than wink start couldn't it easily be changed to loop or immediate start? I'm just thinking out loud. I don't know if that is the problem or not. It's kind of unusual how I can make calls no problem but my standard phone will not ring when I call it. Instead a message plays saying that the call could not go through. The bank has channel LED lights, when I place a call it does indeed light up so I know the call is getting to the bank. I just don't know what the bank is doing with the call.
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 05:19 PM
No DO NOT have telco make a change . Google your Carrier Access Model Number . There has to be a manual in PDF format out there some where . Or call the manufactuer . Who ordered the T1 and where was the Channel Bank purchased . If you had purchased a RHINO Channel Bank they pretty much self config themselves . You still have not answered many of the questions being asked in prior posts . If you don't tell us we don't know how to really help you in the proper direction . :shrug:
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 05:36 PM
Sounds like you have the signaling down, you call out and you say you call in and no more busy. Do like OBTW says, put a plain ol' phone on it on whichever channel you hit first, when you see it hit that channel on the channel bank pick up the phone and see if you have a connection, it won't ring, unless your bank is supplying ringing current. So if your equipment is looking for ringing that could be why it's not answering. Your bank probably has an option for ringing.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 06:01 PM
Sorry, I didn't see a few of these posts and the questions that were presented to me. For the record, the bank is a Carrier Access I. The T1 service I have is a full T1. The lines are all voice with no allocation for data. The lines consist of 40 DID numbers. The telco says that they are using the wink start protocol. As far as I know I am also. At least that is how I set the DIP switches. I purchased the bank on E-Bay and am actively trying to get a manual. If not I am sure I can grab one from a reseller. As far as ringing, I think there is an adapter for that. I'm not sure but I could certainly use it right now. I did actually nearly puchase a RHINO bank but I decided to run with this one because of cost concerns. Actually, to tell the truth there wasn't a Rhino bank of e-bay and I decided against it. I also think I do have the signalling down, I am still actively trying to send a call across the T1 through the bank and to my standard POTS line phone. As usual, I will stay glued to the forum for further posts.

Thank you all so much,
I totally could not do any of this without the help and advice I have found here.
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 06:23 PM
Ok
We squezzed out a little more info . How about posting the Model Number of your Carrier Access Unit ? If your IVR is looking for ringing generator to be present as an incoming call indicator , you will need that adapter. If you have 12 standard Modems but 24 Analog Channels . The math does not add up . 24-12=12 channels that will RNA . Also why 40 DID numbers for a 24 Channel IVR ? :shrug:
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 06:36 PM
The model number for the Carrier Access Bank I is 900-0075. As far as the IVR goes. It actually is a Multitech ZDX Rack. 12 standard Multitech external modems can be placed inside. The 12 modems are data voice fax modems. Additionally, I have another rack that contains 12 more modems. I was going to combine them and connect them both to the channel bank using the punchdown block. The block consists of 24 ports and with the two modem racks I will have 24 ports to work with. As far as the 40 DID numbers, that is the way that XO provisioned them for me. True I can't use all the numbers but they couldn't give me just 24. It was either 20 or 40. So they kind of backed me into a corner on that one. So I chose 40. In your previous post you use an acronym RNA : What does this stand for?

Thank you again
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 06:41 PM
Here is my report so far. Nothing has really changed as of yet.I have placed numerous calls into the channel bank and even though the standard telephone does not ring I still cannot answer it. I mean, I lift the phone off of it's cradle as soon as I see the green LED light kick on but no dice. Still no connection. This is odd, I can dial out but still can't receive a call.
Posted By: metelcom Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 07:10 PM
RNA = Ring No Answer
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 08:26 PM
I assume the channel you see light on the channel bank is the same channel you have the phone plugged into, have to ask. If you can call out than you are seizing the line, so in theory an in coming call should do the same. How many lights on each channel and what are they? Lit or not what are they labled?
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 08:48 PM
When you call one of the DID numbers from lets say your Cell Phone . What do you hear from your Cell Phone ?
Try it and listen carefully as tones can be tricky . I will list choices you pick the most correct !

1.Dead air
2.A Recording
3.A 1 second off 1 second on Busy Tone
4.A burst of Ring Tone then a .5 second off .5 second on Busy Tone
5.A .5 second off .5 second on Busy Tone
6.A long silence then a .5 second off .5 second on Busy Tone
7.A long silence then a 1 second off 1 second on Busy Tone
8.Normal Ringtone as if calling Pizza's To Go

Let us know , Thanks
smile
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 09:10 PM
All I can find on line is the description of the channel band. The installation manual and user guide is PN 770-0005, but looks like you have to order either hard copy or CD, I can't find a download.
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 03/31/06 10:05 PM
Another consideration since it was purchased off Ebay the unit may be defective . If you saw a RHINO Channel Bank on Ebay you should have purchased it . Or posted here prior to purchase . Oh By The Way the Multitech ZDX is not an IVR Server its a dial up modem rack and in no way resembles a server. An IVR system is an "Itergrated Voice Response System" that interacts with a human voice response to process calls . What is your meaning of an IVR Server ? Good Luck
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:34 AM
It's a long story on how I am using the dial up modeem bank as an IVR interface. I have a piece of software that governs all of the modems. If I can successfully get this working, the calls come through the channel bank and into one of the 24 modems. The modem answers the call and presents the caller with a menu etc.etc. Additionally, if another call comes in on another line it is routed to a different modem with a different answer phrase etc. etc.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:42 AM
I do have some good news to report. Not even 3 minutes ago, I just called the bank again and the phone attached to it rang. It only rang once. I answered it and it successfully connected me. However, I can't get the modems to answer the same call. I think the reason I couldn't receive calls is because I just had the T1 line delivered yesterday and activated last night. Perhaps it took the CO some time to get all of the services activated.
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:51 AM
Unicode, we assume some stuff, maybe shouldn't and I sure assumed you had verified with the carrier the trunks on your T-1 were up and ready.

If your phone rings and your modem doesn't answer you need to check your modem options.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 08:13 AM
XO Communications told me that the lines were functioning. I called them a couple of times yesterday evening. According to them, the could see my equipment connected and it was IDLE. I couldn't place a call into the thing to save my life but now I can. I'm just guessing really. Just thinking out loud. I'm not sure why it works not but did not before. Also, I am wrong. The modems do indeed answer. However, I noticed that before a call is connected, a 4 digit series of numbers is dialed by the channel bank before successful communication is established. I am not sure what is being dialed but after you hear it, the call connects. At any rate, I think the dialing is throwing off my modem and causing and interruption.
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 08:18 AM
Sound to me like you requested DENIS digits from the supplier, this is a common request on DID trunks. But why would the phone ring if DENIS is being sent?? Is the phone ringing everytime now and on every port?
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 08:20 AM
I know that this IVR thing is going to continue to be asked about so I will fill you in a bit more about it. I have an IVR software package named NCH Swiftsound IVM. Additionally, I have 2 Multitech ZDX racks and modems that consist of 24 ports total. Inside my PC I have a Moxa PCI 8 port serial card. Up to 4 Moxa cards can be installed in one PC. I only plan to use 3. 8x3=24. And that's it in a nutshell. I realize that it is not a true IVR solution, but it can function similarly to one.

By the way, you guys are great! I am sure you all know what I'm talking about when I say nobody in my office understands me. As a result, I have no one to speak about in terms of tech stuff. Everyone thinks I'm some kind of freak that speaks in tongues or something. Good to find a place where all this is understood.

Really appreciate it
Thank You
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 08:22 AM
Didn't see your question there last time "justbill". Yes, so far the phone rings everytime. I am testing all the ports now. There is 24 of them so this might take me a minute or two. So far out of 9 tested, all looks ok.
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 08:44 AM
Do you have a butt set? If so tap into the line and see if you hear digits when the phones rings or after answer. I'm betting there's digits after answer. If so you'll have to get your supplier to kill the digits if you don't want them, or your modem to ignore them. Did you request the digits because after the modem answers you need the call to go to a specific message or port on your voice response system? Sounds like the T-1 and trunks are working, so from there it's how you want them to interface.

Just wanted to add, if telco isn't giving you the digits and you don't have them at the phone, they must be coming from your modems.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 08:51 AM
I don't own a butt set. I do however have a Walgreens phone I picked up for 5 bucks. On that phone when I call it and pick it up, I hear digits being dialed. Just 4 digits and then the call is established. I think you might be right. The digits may be being dialed after the call is connected. It's hard to say with certainty. I did not request the digits from the CO. Before I call XO and have them kill the digits, any ideas on how I can get a modem to ignore them?
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:01 AM
No, I would think even with the digits your modem would connect. If you get the digits than you modem is answering cause those digits shouldn't be dumped until after an answer. So now you have to go from there, you don't have a T-1 or trunk problem from what I'm hearing from you now.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:05 AM
I thank you. However, I'm not sure how to proceed now. The modems do answer but it disconnects the call. What's really the difference between a regular phone and a regular modem? Is there a difference?
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:09 AM
I think for sure I am going to have to dump the digits because the software that governs the modems thinks it is placing an outbound call when the digits are dialed. That is the message I am hearing. "We're sorry, the call could not go through" etc. etc. I don't think it is the modems now, I think it is the software.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:32 AM
To answer OBTW on his post from last night. Q: When you call one of the DID numbers from lets say your Cell Phone . What do you hear from your Cell Phone?
A: At the time this was occuring, I think option (5) was the closest to describing what was happening. Option 5 was 5.A .5 second off .5 second on Busy Tone
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:47 AM
I think I'm still wrong. I am noticing a new thing now. I don't think the punchdown block I have is representing a seperate number for each port. For example, I dialed one of the numbers from the DID and plugged the phone into port 1 of the block. The phone rang. Additionally, I dialed a second number and did not move the line from port 1 of the block and although the number dialed is different, the phone still rang. https://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_SPB-V.htm?sid=8C120153988EDC9DC0DE6B7DF283C8BF
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:48 AM
What I need is for each port on the punchdown block to represent it's own individual phone number. Perhaps I still do not have something configured correctly.
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 10:49 AM
"We're sorry your call didn't" whatever, is a supplier recording, that would only be if your modems are dialing out. Work one channel at a time until you get what you want. Sounds to me from your discription of what you want, you don't want DID's you just want POTS with a hunt group. Or if you want specific numbers to go to specific modems you just need 24 POTS lines.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 11:08 AM
I know it sounds crazy, but the T1 itself is far cheaper than having 24 pots lines installed in my location. I know, I priced it. I have more news now, the modem finally did answer correctly. Again, I just played with the DIP switches. By messing with the switches I no longer hear the dialed digits anymore. It is good news so far. I do want to accomplish at least one more thing. I have seen that the SFX cards that are installed in the channel bank can perform 3-way calls. I would like to perhaps hear what you know about channel banks and this feature.

I thank you for your time and patience with me. I work in IT and have not had much training in telecom so this is a huge project for me and it has presented a number of challenges as you can plainly see.

Thank You
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 11:26 AM
I do have another question. What if I don't want the hunt group feature? Can I have XO remove that feature. I don't mind if a second caller gets a busy signal if they dial the same number. I do not anticipate huge call volumes anyway. So far during the remainder of my preliminary testing I have successfully established connections with 3 modems. Each played a different message when I called them based on the number that was dialed. That's good. However, I did call the same number from two phones and that's when the channel bank threw me into another modem and played the wrong greeting. You see, this whole thing is about controlling the path a caller embarks on. If I don't know where the calls are going or how they are going to be handled then I'm in trouble.
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 11:30 AM
I just meant 24 separate numbers on yout T1 not 24 lines coming in. Not being their it's really hard to understand some of what's happening. I'm not familiar with your channel bank so know nothing of it's features.

Yes just tell them no hunting, now your back to 24 plain old telephone numbers on your T-1.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 11:38 AM
Super, it really defeats what I would like this equipment to do if it hunts around. I know that sounds insane to you but it's what I need. I need them to function much like POTS lines. As far as having a hard time understanding what I'm experiencing over here, you should come on over. LOL! Illinois is just a skip and jump from Western Nebraska!
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 11:46 AM
Everything is working ok for the most part thanks to your advice and tips. I still need to get this call transfer or 3-way calling mastered. I have tried it a couple of different ways with no success yet. I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 11:50 AM
To clarify, I think what I actually need to do is a (flash hook) type call transfer. From what I have seen about the SFX cards in the channel bank, it is mentioned that it can.
Posted By: TDS Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 12:34 PM
have xo reconfig to 24 loop start lines each channel to have its own number. config each channel to be loopstart same as reg phoneline
What xo is sending requires a pbx or key system to translate the incoming 4 digits to route to a ext that has the the same digits.or is translated
as for the t-1 siganal it can be what ever, d4 esf
just has long as the channel bank matchs xo
do not put lines in a hunt group, then these lines
should act just like reg pots lines. Or buy a phone system that can have t-1 & analog exts then when a call came in, no matter what channel it comes in on will be routed to the modem that has that did #
Hope this helps
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 01:49 PM
Currently, I do not have a KSU or PBX I can work with. If I did, how would this new setup help me? How could I connect the channel bank to it?Also, would the new configuration allow me to transfer calls?
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 01:51 PM
Is 3 way calling or hook-flash a technology reserved just for POTS lines?
Posted By: TDS Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 03:09 PM
please discribe what you would like this to do
ie call to ###_#### is anwser by modem #1 and gives the caller a choice of options and by there anwser the ivr is to tranfer or do some other action with this call. and were is this call going.to.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 04:02 PM
I would like a caller to be able to select from a menu option. They could select "0" to speak to an operator. Most of the calls I anticipate would be transferred to mobile agents cell phones.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 04:05 PM
That sounds a bit vague, let me clarify. A call comes in through the channel bank. A modem answers the call on the line that they called and a menu is played to the caller. The caller selects from the options presented. At any time the caller would like to exit the system and speak to a live agent, they can press "0" or another key. At any rate, I believe most of the transfers will go to remote offices and mobile workers via cell phone.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 04:10 PM
By the way, as a result of the expertise of the knowledgebase that is this Sundance Communications forum (you included), I have gotten super information that has helped me greatly. In fact, as far as last night was concerned, I was absolutely clueless and none of my equipment worked like I had hoped. Now however, my equipment works properly, I can make and receive calls etc. etc. The last barricade I face is transferring calls. That too I think will be defeated by this tremendous group of knowledgeable individuals.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 04:40 PM
I have another idea that maybe could work. Since I can dial into the T1 using an analog phone, is there a code I can use to access the next open line? Like *98 or something like that. For example, what if I wanted the calls to be transferred inside of the phone numbers associated with the T1? Is there a code for that? Something I can dial to access an open line?
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 06:16 PM
When you have this up and running are you going to post the telephone number ? It's a fair exchange ! Let us know . Thanks smile
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 06:24 PM
You bet I would post the number if I had this working correctly. I would like all of you to see what you helped me accomplish.
Posted By: justbill Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 06:51 PM
Are you saying when a call comes in and hits the IVR you than want the option to call back out on a vacant line? A switch hook flash isn't going to work as far as the lines on the T-1 go, unless you change them to Centrex, or your lines have 3 way calling. If you have 24 numbers with 24 different options you won't have any spare lines to go back out on. Don't think I'm following what you want to do. Define transfering calls, transfering to where? In system or out of system?
Posted By: TDS Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:12 PM
why not just buy a phone systen and a voicemail systerm with ivr this will do what you want plus more
Posted By: upstateny Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:35 PM
Ever consider hirng a professional to make this work?
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:35 PM
I already have a channel bank, a modem bank and a T1 line. So far all the IVR features work with the exception of transferring. To me it would not make sense to start over with new equipment when all of this is working well so far. Another aspect is cost. The method I am using is far more cost effective. I know, I have priced some professional equipment. I sortof have a bit of a budget I have to adhere to. A new phone system plus and IVR console plus, plus, plus. Far too much than I can really afford at this time.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:38 PM
Besides all of that, I do have the T1 installed at my location and they want their money every month. So in other words, it is kind of too late for me to rethink everything this late in the game.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:40 PM
To answer upstateny's question: The only part of the system that I am still experiencing difficulty with is the call transferring. As far as hiring a pro to make this work......I have access to all the professionals anyone could ever ask for right here in this forum. Hands down the best advice and help anyone could find in one place.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 07:51 PM
To answer "justbill's" question. Yes, I'm saying that when a call comes in it hits the IVR then if a caller desires they can be transferred out of the system by pressing "0" or some such. The calls I would anticipate would be transferred off premises. Probably remote workers and field branches. If I need vacant lines to do transferring with, I have no problem in not filling the entire set of 24 lines. Instead, I could allocate a couple of lines just for transferring. Since it is the weekend and I cannot call XO, I don't know if 3 way calling is available on my lines. If it is, then the transfer method I need to use will work ok. I think. Additionally, I would perhaps want to transfer a call or two inside the system. How would I transfer a call inside the system? What I mean is, could I transfer a call from one T1 line number to another? Is there a code for that or something? Like a caller calls in, I pick up the phone and say "One moment, I'll transfer you." Could I keep the caller on the line and then dial something like *89 and access an empty T1 line and make another call?
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 08:30 PM
Since everything but call transfer is working , how about posting the telephone number to your IVR server ? It's a small request considering all the free help you have received ! We all want to be able to listen to the fruits of our labor ! So come on post that number , we won't choose the transfer option . :shrug:
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:01 PM
Ok, hold up
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:02 PM
Give me a minute or two.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:25 PM
Ok, I want to record something cool for you guys to hear. This might take longer than a minute or two. Additionally, I want to give you some options to choose from.
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 09:52 PM
Are you ready yet ? We don't necessarily need something "Cool" ! We just want to be part of a job well done ! Thanks smile
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/01/06 10:11 PM
Unicode, I would be leery of 3 way calling through a LEC. Generally speaking you get billed for every single 3 way you do on top the phone call. XO just uses T1 to "long haul" dialtone to your channel bank. It should act just like a POTS lines (possibly hotter voltage-wise). I have MANY customers that do, what you are trying to, do with just a few Centrex lines.
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/02/06 06:38 PM
Unicode
We are still waiting for that Telephone number that you promised to post ! :shrug:
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/03/06 09:25 AM
Sorry about that, I got wrapped up in the Godfather game yesterday and now I'm on the phone with XO sorting some stuff out. At any rate, call 773-724-2063
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/03/06 04:05 PM
Ok, here's what I found out from XO. They say that the hunting feature isn't being controlled by them. They say it is the bank that is controlling it. Is it possible for me to set the bank to only accept one call at a time per line? What I mean is, can the second caller on the same number be busied out? If not, they say they can make the changes at the central office but they want me to see if I can do it first.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/03/06 04:59 PM
I have never heard of a channel bank providing hunting. That's a feature of their switch, or anybody's CO switch for that matter. Try to send a PM to AnthonyH; he works with this stuff and should be able to assist further.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/03/06 05:40 PM
Super, I will message him in a bit. I have not told XO to change anything just yet. I want to see what I can control with the bank first.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/03/06 06:37 PM
Well, if it is not cofigured to emulate loop start trunks, it "hunting" could simply be sending DNIS to the next available channel.

You could have make the entire system work with a Merlin Magix, a T1 card, and a Merlin Messaging. Use DNIS to indicate the number dialed, instead of sending it to a particular channel, and the Magix would route the call to the appropiate mailbox. You could have 12 calls at a time to the same number (only because 12 ports is the maximum for Merlin Messaging - other voice mails could have a larger number of ports). 0-out to an external number can be handled with a phantom extension remote call forwarded to the outside number.

Any number of "real" phone systems could handle what you've cobbled together, and still don't have working yet.
Posted By: OBTW Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/04/06 08:10 AM
I tried 773-724-2063 and also 867-5309 . Niether one worked . :shrug:
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/04/06 11:28 AM
Again, so sorry. These fools at XO issued me phone numbers that do not reflect my current area code. For emergency 911 reasons, they had to issue me new numbers and in so doing have set me back a bit. At any rate, I will reconfigure this thing and post the new number.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/04/06 12:21 PM
I appreciate your comments "Touch Tone Tommy", however like I said in an earlier post, it is a bit late in the game for me to rethink this entire project. Let's skip this IVR thing for a second because I think it may be causing some confusion. Let's instead pretend that I simply want 24 analog phones connected to the bank with each phone representing it's own individual phone number. How can I make each port on the punchdown block represent it's own number each and every time the number is dialed. So far the bank likes to throw the numbers around a bit, meaning it is not consistent.
Posted By: Unicode Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/04/06 12:25 PM
So far, I have the T1 line itself terminated into the channel bank. From there I have an amphenol connector coming out and plugging in to this punchdown block (Pictured Here)https://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_SPB-V.htm?sid=4E6FE8194F0CAE22C8699463387C6A79
From the block I have the lines running to a few modems and a couple of regular phones. I place calls and sometimes there is consitency and other times there is not. I would like to keep using the same equipment and if need be I can change the T1 service I have to accomodate my needs. However, before I do that I want to see if I can do some of this myself.
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/04/06 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Unicode:
...Let's instead pretend that I simply want 24 analog phones connected to the bank with each phone representing it's own individual phone number. How can I make each port on the punchdown block represent it's own number each and every time the number is dialed. So far the bank likes to throw the numbers around a bit, meaning it is not consistent.
Ed mentioned this in an earlier post and I agree… That is coming from the CLEC switch. This is due to the manner in which the trunk groups’ “hunting” was built.

Thanks,
Bryan
Cars -n- Guitars Racin'
Posted By: RobCalltrol Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/04/06 02:57 PM
When T1s are ordered, some carriers make the trunk group portion more obvious than others. Having never order a voice T1 from XO, I don't know how obvious, or how much help their provisioning department provides.

When I ordered a T1 from Airespring for my company, I saw on the order form, spaces to specify trunk grouping. After discussing this with one of their techs, my boss, and my phone vendor, ESI, I figured out how it would be useful.

We have 5 groups of channels.
Lines 1 - 6 handle incoming calls for a group of 9 800 numbers. All incoming calls are hunted from the first line-up. In other words, the first call to any of these numbers goes to line 1. When the second call comes in, if line 1 is busy, it will hit line 2, and so on.
Lines 7 - 10 handle only 1 800 number, and we'll probably drop it soon.
Lines 11 - 16 have another group of 10 800 numbers, and behave similarly. These lines are dedicated for a secondary company we share the office with.
Lines 17 - 20 is for yet a third company, with 1 800 number.
21 - 24 are what we've dubbed an overflow group. When any other group's channels are completely busy, any calls to them hunt into this group. This group also has some 800 numbers we haven't assigned a purpose yet.

What it seems like has happened, is that none of this trunk grouping was defined on the initital order. While XO may not be the one responsible for performing the hunt, some carrier down the line IS. In my case, I contracted with Airespring, who is actually reselling Broadwing service, which is delivered on Verizon wires. It was with Broadwing who I had to detail my hunting scheme with, as the Airespring guy was getting too confused.

No single-T1 channel bank that I'm aware of will handle the hunting for you. Some carrier is responsible for it, and what you need to do is arrange the trunk groups. In your case it sounds like you want 24 trunk groups each with 1 line each. Each group is associated with only 1 phone number. However, in this arrangement, only one call can be handled by a particular phone number at one time - subsequent callers will get a busy tone.

On a side-note, I happen to work for a company that does call-center software, including the IVR part... and the application you're trying to build is precisely what we're good at. The others have all said that there's equipment designed specifically for this, and they're right. But I think it's easier to wrap my head around a software approach....
Posted By: cconley Re: T1 Channel Bank Question - 04/07/06 07:17 AM
Sorry to get in on this thread so late, have been out of the office. I will PM you a PDF version of the manual for that Access I channel bank. 95% of everything you need to configure is printed on the flat face of the box. It does sound like you have it configured correctly, though I would have you check the dip switches at the back of the unit. There is a set of 10 DIP switches on the back right as you face the unit. They should be set as follows
1. Off
2. Off
3. Off
4. On
5. On
6. Off
7. Off
8. Off
9. Off
10.Off

The critical one to keep intermittant issues from creeping up is SW3, T1 clock source. If you have this turned on, then the Channel Bank is providing the clock, off and the clock, or T1 timing sync is coming from XO. You may not have any issues right now, but once you start placing or receiving 24 calls at a time, it tends to start giving you funky problems that are hard to track down, so just set it right up front.

Second, if XO has configured the T1 with DID's on top of the main trunking BTN, then the 4 digits you are hearing are from them, and they are routing translations for the DID's. In a PBX environment, it would tell the PBX which extension to send the Direct Inward Dial call to. Just call XO and tell them that you do not need the DID's and have them disabled, these tones will go away. The only time you would need the DID's is if you are publishing multiple numbers for your 'IVR like' system. For instance... 555-1111 is for customer service and gets one greeting or message.. 555-1112 is for Tech support and gets routed to a different, specific modem and gets a different message. If, and this is my assumption, you just publish one number, the main T1 BTN, and you don't care which channel they come in on, they all go into your software and get the same initial greeting or message, then have them disable the DID's. It will simplify your life.

You are right about rushing the job a bit. When a carrier installs a T1 circuit, there are three steps. The T1 is physically connected, usually by the LEC to a smart jack, which you have plugged into your T1 interface on the CAC. Then the 'turn up' the T1, meaning they turn on their equipment and you get a Sync with your equipment.. they can 'see' you and you can 'see' them. At this point, you can usually break dial tone and make outbound calls... even ANI the number because it is still within XO's network. The last step is to PORT the T1. This is when XO goes out to the mysterious database in the sky and tells the world that your phone numbers should find their way to your channel bank. This is the piece you were missing at first, but seems like you have crossed that hurdle.

Good luck! I will PM that manual over.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help