Telecom is NOT a completely different industry. Still works on the basic concept of connect these wires to complete a circuit. Wire tracing, drops, and connections are almost identical (though in the computer field it takes MANY more than 2 wires to make a valid connection).

I don't appreciate your resorting to name calling, my point is that 90% of the telecom industry is in knowing how to route the connections. As far as the programming of the phone systems, that is no different than the multitude of computer applications customers use to solve different problems. If I have a client who is using Peachtree for accounting, and I am not that familiar with it, but I know ALL the other programs and network requirements they have, should I then send them to another service provider? No, I should LEARN what that application does, find the answers they need, and get them back functional again.

Granted this isn't all "billable" time, but if you aren't in the constant process of learning new skills, then technicians such as myself are going to blow right past you while you continue doing what you always did.

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]