My office is getting eaten alive by our phone bills so I'm looking to make some changes. I know this a good forum for advice and I'm hoping it will save me some time.

Our current situation: we have 4 lines on our PBX and 1 analog line for fax and DSL. Our local service and our DSL are with the major telco here in downtown Durham, NC. This runs us over $400 a month which seems excessive to me.

Our long distance is with another major telco and they are most definitely over-charging us. A low month will be $100 to $150 and high month will be over $300. I'm seeing charges on our LD bill as high as $0.94 per minute!

All these services were in place before I started here, but it's my job to fix the mess and get our bills down.

I'm hoping I can get all our services bundled and our bill reduced significantly. The big telco that handles our local service has been somewhat helpful and has offered to get everything on one bill, but they are not actively suggesting or helping with ways to reduce our costs.

If I do nothing else except switch our LD to this company we would save some money, but I want to look at all options.

Another telco has actually sent someone out to talk with me and he'll be getting a proposal to me soon. I don't know anything about that company, but I'm impressed with the time they have taken to try and get our business.

The kind of advice I'm looking for:

What telco options do I have here in central NC?

What type of plan or plans should I be looking for?

What should we be paying for these services? ...or some way of comparing costs?

Any other recommendations?

We need to keep our 4 lines and the analog fax line, keep our DSL or some type of broadband, and have account codes on our long distance.

Thanks,
jweaks