Hal:

They are located in the former GTE area now called Verizon. I also live in former GTE territory in Virginia. They have always charged mile-high rates for hunting, in fact for my two lines at home to hunt, I have to pay the hunting charge for both lines, even though it's only one line hunting to another! They get about $5.00 per month for each line. GTE's "Centranet" rates really don't save money like Bell's "Centrex" either. Even though they are now technically one company, they still operate independently when it comes to the rates they were tariffed by the state.

Now the Bell Atlantic territories around this area are only charging 58 cents a month for hunting. It really varies by the state and the company.

I agree with your suggestion about the Freedom plan idea around here. If this is being offered in the GTE areas, it's certainly worth looking into.

I have a feeling that the $39.50 monthly charge for lines may actually be "trunk" rates and not "POTS line" rates. JW, you may want to ask if your service is being billed as PBX trunks because you can have this regraded since you don't have a PBX. You have a key system. POTS lines are the same thing, they just cost less.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX