While the UC500 series has had lots of problems over the years, I feel I must say this in their defense.

This configuration is not officially supported by the Small Business team or the system. Remote sites are supported through specificly supported routers and/or an additional system at a remote site.

I have the same setup that we were able to make work and it had nothing to do with the phone system at all, in fact I changed no programming on the system to make it work. In the end it was ALL about access-list and nat rules. Once that was done the phones connected automatically across the site to site vpn (asa to asa).

This was an Out of band solution so no UC500 support could/would help. In fact the UC540/560 is supported by their small business group, not TAC.

The fault in Keep's case as I see it, was with the salesman selling the UC500 solution as a standard CME install rather than understanding the product and its limitations. I am not saying the UC500 series doesnt have faults but in this case I dont see how Cisco failed at all. If its an unsupported feature or solution then you technically shouldnt do it.

I did my OOB solution and am happy with it but now have a fiber link between locations so it no longer matters.

As far as Cisco allowing partners behaviors, does ANY manufacturer do that? I gained a great deal of business from customers leaving Avaya/Cisco/Nortel vendors over the treatment and support they recieved from their current vendors. Its the same all around for almost any manufacurer. Local vendors can be good or bad regardless of the product lines they offer.