Hi all,

Finally managed to hook up a nice 4A speakerphone set from 1976 to my 2565 desk set and a vintage 107A loudspeaker from 1973 to a 564 set. All works!

Just wanted to share with those having nostalgy from golden age of 1A2 in business communications.

This is my favourite instrument - black WE 564. Refurbished in 1983 and no original date is available since metal base was painted black (which normally happend to very old sets). Based on parts inside I may assume it comes from 1956. Wires from the network to the ringer are in fabric insulation, so also shows that it is from early production.

[Linked Image from s21.postimg.org]

Plan to equip 564 station with a TT adjunct, have not connected it yet - there is no BSP for 1035 adjunct connection to 564 sets. Don't look on Cisco 7960 in the background - this is nothing in comparison with WECO stuff.

108A works well. This should be from one of the first production year of 4A speakerphone. Transmitter says 680A and loudspeaker is 108A so without static discharge protection. If by chance anybody knows parameters of "106A varistor" to install into 108A for static discharge protection (mentioned in the 'new' BSP for 4A speakerphone as shippded with each transmitter for repair), I would appreciate that for finding an available equivalent to upgrade my 108A. Hooked it up to the black WE 2565 from 1978 (refurbished in 1981).

Important - I only collect stuff that can be used. So since I've connected the 4A speakerphone over this weekend - I have already conducted today 3-4 long conference calls with it. And results are perfect. Don't know how it is for another party - but for me sound is really different from any of modern speakerphone due to more low-frequency (bass) component of sound. Most of modern IP Phones use negligible loudspeaker and the weight is way too low as well - so even if allowed, low frequencies will make the whole thing vibrating. With 108A weight and size of loudspeaker low component is possible. Difference is obvious even with 107A Spokesman.

Not without troubles - origially I connected both 4A speakerphone and 107A louspeaker to an external transformer to get 18 VAC. Both worked well for a few hours till in the evening 4A speakerphone died completely. Have had to dig inside and troubleshoot - integrated diod bridge in 108A failed. I believe this is because of transformer's starting impulse - haven't put any protection against this. So have to remove the bridge and solder AC input directly to DC output of the bridge. Of course changing the power supply for both 4A and 107A from AC to a good rectified DC source with polarity control for repaired 108A. Now hope with this modification trouble will not repeat itself. If somebody decides to repair 108A loudspeaker - be careful with flexible circuits - that was an experimental design from Bell Labs - these are not really flexible PCBs. Over time metal conductors on them start cracking and any movement may brake them with almost no chances to repair. So avoid opening it "just for curiosity".

Some of my other items from collection related to 1A2 (mostly) and WECO:

This one is newer from ITT. Came as NOS from the US. Manufacture date says April 1980. Nice Beige 564 instrument. 107A Spokesman was in awfull condition - have to repolish it completely to remove faded out plastic. Interesting enough under 0.2-0.3 mm of deteriourated plastic the colour was still like new. Only embossed WE logo on the rare side can say the difference.

This is original green Western Electric 564HL from April 1973. Was kept somewhere here in Germany and came to me with broken dial spring and contacts and lost spring in pick up buttons block. Have had to do some mechanical repair, but now it's Ok. Really like this combination of 564/565 sets with matching colour 107A loudspeakers - that was a great design. Have no use yet to 4-button external signalling keys blocks - will figure out how to employ those.

Another new set from May 1984 (almost the same age as I) also from ITT - Beige 2564.

And the Ivory ITT 2565 from November 1984. This matches perfectly with the furniture in bedroom - so I just left it there.

If you would only know how difficult (and expensive) it is to get this stuff here on the other side of the pond...

Last edited by RedBul; 07/24/17 05:08 PM.