Originally Posted by Carl Navarro
In the very first days of personal computing (about 1979-1981) they made a Selectric interface. It was a solenoid panel that fit over the keyboard and tapped out your print. Remember, dot matrix printers were ugly and didn't even have descenders on the lowercase letters. Qume printers were VERY expensive in 1980's dollars, and the poor guy like me didn't have hundreds of dollars to buy one anyway something like 40 of them.

If you have time to waste, there are some articles and a thread on the interfaces here: https://www.google.com/search?q=IBM+Selectric+keyboard+interface&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks Carl,

This is exactly the idea which came to my mind while thinking about Selectric: to make an interface based on solenoids to print from PC. Need to see, probably some are still available around.

I have two dot matrix printers here (actually 3 - third is for printing log from PBX): one for A4 width and one big for A3. Both equipped with continuous paper. I print long lists on them. Smaller one is cool - I have a color cartridge for it - CMYK, so it allows to print in color. That was like the top of dot matrix technology just before it died.

But typewriter type printer is much cooler. There were big ones with daisy wheel, which printed the whole line in one hit, but they are rare and expensive. They were very fast in printing

Last edited by RedBul; 09/18/17 02:30 AM.