That would not have saved me anything, because first of all I tried to connect it via 220/110V portable converter which I use while traveling and it gave 48V instead of 24V, so I was lucky not to burn out my line cards. For continuously powered device this is not the best idea to go via two step transforming.

Well, if you would have used an actual transformer instead of God knows what that converter was there wouldn't have been a problem. It certainly would have been good for continuous operation given that you sized it properly.

I take no joy from bastardizing well designed vintage equipment by making all kinds of modifications to it using present day components. If you like to tinker, that's your prerogative. I installed those when they were new. There wasn't much I would change then, certainly nothing now.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.