Originally Posted by dexman
Ah yes! I have access to an old Sony 7.5" reel-to-reel at my Church. The drive belt must be stretched as the speed is off. The felt pressure pads for the tape heads are worn off and all three heads must be worn by now.

Sadly, nobody really fixes them anymore, and, tapes are long gone from the market. There is a box of tapes I can try to play as time allows.

For Revox a service manual is available for download from the manufacturer, plenty of parts on eBay, even the special kits with new variable resistors (trimmers) sets, transistors, capacitors, etc. This one has no belt (except the one for mechanical counter, which is not a critical application) - this is a 3-motor direct drive machine, i.e. the tape moving shaft and both reels are set directly on the motor shafts with no gears or belts transmission. I've cleaned and re-oiled the so called capstan motor (this is the one moving the tape at regulated precise speed) and it works well. This one utilizes semi-professional heads - they are huge in size and I believe have a good resource for wear off. And there are plenty of masters who fix them, upgrade them for a very good money. But I prefer to do it myself.

P.S. The 1/4" tape is still available (new one) since there are still many professional studious who prefer to use the classical non-digital technology. Old tapes are indeed no good - they deteriorate and start to produce an oxide dust which is all over the place.

I plan to use one of these machines for recording the telephone conversations (conference calls) at reduced speed of 3 3/4 inches per second, so will have in total ~16 hours capacity on one 10.5" reel with 1100 m of tape (because of 4 tracks available for monophonic recording). Will need to tied it up to a WE telephone - not sure if it should be a direct connection or via some sort of isolating transformer (like in WE 107B loudspeaker). Probably Arthur knows it...

Last edited by RedBul; 10/11/17 05:34 AM.