Ed, Hal, I feel your pain. Even my friends who are around my age (38) don't have desktop PC's and conduct almost all of their online affairs via cell phone. They think I'm "old fashioned" because I have a several desktop PC's and a traditional telco landline. In fact, one of my friends was trying to sell a TV on craigslist, but he needed to find a new power cord for it. He had no clue what kind so he sent me a picture of the socket and it was a standard computer power cord. I forget the number, but the same cord that's been on PC's since the IBM PC AT/XT or even earlier. I told him it was a regular computer cord and his response: "You know I don't have a computer, and I don't see a need to ever have one." That pretty much summed it up for me. Personally, I don't see how someone can type up a resume on an iphone or ipad, but that is the way things seem to be going. Personally, I can't imagine life without my PC. On the other hand, maybe there is hope. I have a much younger friend (21) who is absolutely fascinated with all my old phones and aging technology. He said something the other night about the sound of a dial-up modem and was having a moment of nostalgia. I told him, "I can bring a little of that back to life for you" and proceeded to start Hyperterminal on my two workshop PC's. Using my partner ACS as a switch, I dialed from one PC to the other. His face lit up when he heard the modems doing their thing, and we spent an entirely pointless hour typing in Hyperterminal from one PC to the other, laughing like a couple of fools. We even made some ascii art.

Heck, I was happy to finally get long distance on my landline yesterday for the first time.
Funny how with some griping, you can get more and pay less. Went from unlimited regional to unlimited nationwide, and my bill went down $9 a month. Guess I'll take even a minor victory when I can.

I used to say I fly in a vacuum. Every time I log on to these forums I'm reminded I'm not alone.
Keep on trucking and long live analog goodness!