Hi Sam,

I would say the only real problem is with WE 2554 type sets (compact wall models). Those use a ringer with suspended steel ball, which is extremely difficult to adjust to low voltage ringing. Normal size ringers are all in principle adjustible and can work on European lines with coil positioning. I had one of the sets with both bells covered with medical plaster, because I believe original ringer was too loud for the previous owner. I have to remove remainings of plaster and adhesive and polish the bells, now they look and sound amazing.

One of the new additions on my workbench are wall-mount COMDIAL 2851 from 1985 and 2-line Stromberg-Carlson 2553 from 1982. Both in ash color and came new in the box. I believe this is from US military surplus from some of the bases here, but I may be wrong (have no better idea who would ever ship stock of new 1A2 phones to Germany and keep it for 30 years.

[Linked Image from s11.postimg.org]

And one which can be interesting for all - I'm sure you've never seen it before is Ascom Crystal ISDN system telephone for Ascom PBX. Look as nothing special now in comparison with large screen IP Phones, but if you imagine that both hardware and software was developed in Switzerland in 1984 by Autophon (that was one of the biggest Swiss companies producing phones, key sets and equipment since 1920s, now dead as well as Bell System and WE), for those times - end of 1980s it was quite an advanced instrument with full size multi-line LCD screen and full computer terminal capabilities (QWERTY keyboard is integrated into the set). It took some industrial design award around the same 1989 and was successfuly produced through 1990s.
I think if you compare it with Merlin or other systems from that time, this was really unique for its time. It also works as a Key Telephone System.

[Linked Image from s1.postimg.org]

Last edited by RedBul; 07/25/17 03:41 PM.