Originally Posted by hbiss
Originally Posted by redbull
551C KSU from 1981 is converted to 230V, wired and made operational. Now in more details.

I managed to find a matching size power transformer with necessary secondary voltages. Original Western Electric 110V transformer is on the left (removed) and the new one is on the right (installed).

You could have simply used a 220/120v step down transformer. That would have saved you a lot of needless work and kept everything original. Just sayin...

-Hal

That would not have saved me anything, because first of all I tried to connect it via 220/110V portable converter which I use while traveling and it gave 48V instead of 24V, so I was lucky not to burn out my line cards. For continuously powered device this is not the best idea to go via two step transforming. Second, that would leave an additional unit outside the KSU, now I have a normal plug on the cable which I need just to connect.
What you call needless work I call my hobby and it brings me a lot of fun. This is why this all is started. So probably most of described on this forum is in some way needles work, since people can just use their iPhone instead of building 1A2 system at home.