Just a curiosity question. Did anyone ever involved into the old Bell System service organization know, why TouchTone dials specifically used for Princess phones were less reliable then regular TT pads?

I have plenty of WE old TT pads in my various 1A2 telephones - none of those ever required any repair or adjustment, except taking care of proper polarity.

However, having now 2 princess phones and having done a market research on those on eBay, I see that many of Princess do not dial out.

The first one that already arrived I have repaired by re-tuning the high and low frequency coils with a frequency meter, so now it dials out perfectly. However, I have never came across the lost tuning on other WE TT dials and never touched those factory adjusted coils.

In my view difference of Princess dial was only in transparent buttons, but not in frequency generator electronics. And the coils used are the same. Could it be that for some reason coils in Princess phones were not fixed with paint/glue after factory adjustment and so after years of vibration they may turn a bit causing the frequencies to creep.

Have no idea but very curious about this.